PSYCHOBILLY, PUNKABILLY, HELLBILLY and related wayward travelers

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
OK, folks welcome to the place were punkers and hillbillies met to unleash their
darkest musical demons :D
The definition of Psychobilly ... a musical hybred of punk rock and good old fashion Rockabilly.
The genre has expanded to include influences from metal and other forms of musical rebellion over the years as we will explore. Please do not post lists of bands. If you wish to contribute ( as everyone is obviously allowed & welcome to do ) please give a sample of the bands music, or a link to an area where members are able to listen to the bands music.

First off,I will begin with the band generally credited with starting the whole thing.

THE CRAMPS: many argue that they are not Psychobilly but a garage punk band but their connection with rockabilly is quite obvious and they had a MAJOR influence on the Psychobilly scene that would later emerge. They formed in 1976, New York, NY, The main band members Lux Interior [Erick Purkhiser] vocals and Poison Ivy [Kristy Wallace] (guitar) were the one constant though out their career which recently came to an end with the death of Lux Interior They combined a dark twisted sexual sense of humor with their outlandish stage show, campy sci fi , horror movie antics and punk/rockabilly sounds.

lux-interior-the-cramps.jpg

1980 Songs the Lord Taught Us
1981 Psychedelic Jungle
1983 Smell of Female
1986 A Date With Elvis
1986 Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealandxxx
1990 Stay Sick!!
1991 Look Mom, No Head!
1994 Flamejob
1997 Big Beat From Badsville
2003 Fiends of Dope Island
2004 How to Make a Monster

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
AstroZombies-Early.jpg

ASTRO-ZOMBIES

The Astro-Zombies are a French Psychobilly trio that formed in 1996 ,They are named after a Misfits tune of the same name and are apparently often mistaken for a Misfits tribute band due to that fact .This band set themselves apart from the rest of the upright bass mohawk crowd by adding a bit of a surf punk influence not commonly found among the genre.

2001 Control Your Minds
2002 The Astro Zombies Are Coming...
2003 Mutilate, Torture and Kill
2009 Convince or Confuse

myspace:
ASTRO ZOMBIES on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
^^Awesome Neo-Rockabilly band Sunny :grinthumb

Krewmen-AdventuresCD407.jpg

THE KREWMEN :
a UK Psychobilly band that started as a rockabilly cover band in 1982. The Krewmen slowly evolved into one of the most influential psychobilly bands ever. What made the Krewmen different from other bands at that time was that they played incredibly fast, and the unique voice of singer Mark Cole. This resulted in their first 3 albums. After these albums Cole left the band and Tony McMillian took over on vocals. The sound changed somewhat. The band started also to experiment more in the recording studio. Sounds were added and samples were used on their later albums.

Great Psychobilly band \m/

1986 The Adventures of the Krewmen
1987 Into The Tomb
1987 Sweet Dreams
1988 Plague of the Dead
1990 Power
1991 The Final Adventures of the Krewmen Pt.1

rtbuck

Reaction score
Great Stuff!!! I'm a fan of the Cramps & my favorite album is 'Stay Sick'. I never heard the Astro Zombies or the Krewmen until your post & I will definitely get their stuff.

I know the Stray Cats were more Rockabilly but they were the start for me especially with their s/t debut & Gonna Ball which were only available as imports.
Then some time in the early 80's I was watching 'Nightflight' on the USA network & they played the 'Urghh! a Music War' film. The film was made in 1980 & featured punk bands from the East & West Coast. At one point the Cramps came on & performed "Tear it up" & I never seen anything like it so I became a fan.

In the mid 80's I was frequenting a punk club called the Continental & one week around Halloween a local band called the Quakes were playing & they were unlike anything I'd ever seen or heard. They hit the stage with strobe lights flashing & they were a 3 piece band much like the Stray Cats with the Hair styles,small drum kit, & upright Bass. Their faces were painted up like skulls & they wore ripped up jeans with fishnet stockings underneath. THeir music was similar to the Stray Cats but it was different,,,it was more intense & wilder (they almost sounded possessed)...they were Psychobilly. They left Buffalo by the late 80's & seemed to do well in Europe & Japan

joe

Reaction score
Another fantastic thread DaKillerWolf.:clap:

Excellent stuff I've heard so far. I must admit I don't know much on these genres but this music has intrigued me. Mayhem! The devil also lurks in these shadows.

Listening to a Seattle rock station was the first I heard of the Reverend Horton Heat sometime in the early '90's. Signed to Sub Pop records from Seattle the Reverend released his first album 1992 and and is still recording with a release last year. I plan on picking up Holy Roller, a compilation album from his music from the '90's.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE CRAMPS were brilliant and masters in this field theres no doubt about that....I love the albums and was fortunate to have seen their impressive live show!!:bow:

Currently playing the Goth circuit is the successful DEVILISH PRESLEY from London UK
Psychobilly/deathrock/goth/horror....even glam influences !!!

Released 4 albums

Rust garden
Disgraceland
Mephisto
Flesh ride

Ive seen them a few times..great band..good entertainers !! :grinthumb

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Cool thread! I love the hillbilly meets metal outlaw music....

IMHO you can't get more hellbilly than Hank Williams III...

He has released 6 studio albums so far:

Three Hanks: Men With Broken Hearts (1996)
Risin' Outlaw (1999)
Lovesick, Broke and Driftin' (2002)
Straight to Hell (2006)
Damn Right, Rebel Proud (2008)
Rebel Within (2010)

From the 2010 Release "Rebel Within"

Hank3rw.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How about Gothabilly! I like this band Fields of the Nephilim........

fotn.gif

They have released 7 albums, including a live album

1987 Dawnrazor
1988 The Nephilim
1990 Elizium
1991 Earth Inferno (live)
1996 Zoon
2002 Fallen
2005 Morning Sun

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics