Psychedelic Folk

Jackrabbit Slim

Reaction score
Found as I get older I'm listening to more and more acoustic music.

I've recently discovered / been introduced to some great Folk / Psych crossover artists and have added links to some of the best that I thought I'd share here.

Love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for further listening.

Take it easy.

Linda Perhacs is an American psychedelic folk singer, who released her only album Parallelograms in 1970 to scant notice or sales. The album was rediscovered by record enthusiasts and grew in popularity with the rise of the New Weird America movement and the Internet. It was reissued on CD and 2-LP in 2005, and again in 2008.

Her songs have been featured in soundtracks to many films, most recently and notably in Daft Punk's Electroma. Perhacs also sang backing vocals on "Freely" from Devendra Banhart's Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon and features in Prefuse 73's track "Rain Edit" (Interlude) from the album Surrounded by Silence.

Lesley Duncan was an English singer-songwriter, best known for her work during the 1970s. She received a lot of airplay on British radio stations such as BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 2, but never achieved great commercial success.

Elton John duetted with her in a version of "Love Song" similar to his own, on his album Tumbleweed Connection. She appeared onstage with John in a 1974concert at the Royal Festival Hall to perform the duet once again. The live recording of "Love Song" was included on John's Here and There album.

Duncan contributed backing vocals to Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon album as well as singing lead on the song "If I Could Change Your Mind" on the Alan Parsons Project album Eve. As well as writing and singing her own material, Duncan was a backing vocalist in the mid to late 1960s, most notably for Dusty Springfield and the The Walker Brothers. She can be seen on many of the performances featured in the BBC DVD "Dusty At The BBC".

Lesley died in March 2010 in Scotland on the Isle of Mull where she lived.

Wendy & Bonnie Flower were an American singing sister duo who recorded the album Genesis in 1969 for Skye Records.

The album was produced by jazz percussionist/producer Gary McFarland. At the time, McFarland was part owner of the Skye label, along with Latin percussionist Cal Tjader (who was Wendy and Bonnie's godfather) and jazz guitarist Gábor Szabó.

Wendy and Bonnie grew up in Millbrae, California, in the San Francisco Bay suburbs. Their parents, Art and Jeane Flower, were professional musicians. In 1967, Wendy played and recorded with an early San Francisco psychedelic band called Crystal Fountain; Bonnie later joined the band as drummer. The following year, Tjader heard some of the Flower sisters' acoustic home demos and arranged a recording session with Skye. The sisters, who were teens at the time the album was recorded, composed all the songs. McFarland served as arranger on the sessions, crafting a post-psychedelic soft rock sound with Brazilian overtones.

In the early 1970s, Wendy and Bonnie provided background vocals on two Cal Tjader albums for Fantasy Records. Thereafter, the sisters pursued separate careers in music and entertainment, but did not record together again.

Their recording "By the Sea" was sampled by the Welsh space rock band Super Furry Animals on a single "Hello Sunshine," which is also the opening track on the band's 2003 album Phantom Power.

Comus was named after Comus, a masque by John Milton and is also from the name of the Greek god Comus. David Bowie appreciated them and used them as support band for a 1969 concert at London's Purcell Rooms.[1]

Their first album, First Utterance, appeared in 1971. The music is largely acoustic art rock that blends elements of Eastern percussion, early folk and animal-like vocals. The lyrics are dramatic, involving violence, murder, and mental disorder. Apart from three tracks on First Utterance ("The Herald", "Diana" and "Bitten"), most of the songs were written by Roger Wootton and arranged by Glenn Goring. The group disbanded after this album, but they reunited with new members for their second album, which was to be their swansong, To Keep from Crying, in 1974.

Mr Fox were an early 1970s electric folk or folk rock band. They were seen as in the ‘second generation’ of electric folk performers and for a time were compared with Steeleye Span and Sandy Denny’s Fotheringay. Unlike Steeleye Span they mainly wrote their own material in a traditional style and developed a distinct ‘northern’ variant of the genre. They demonstrate the impact and diversity of the electric folk movement and the members went on to pursue significant careers within the electric folk and traditional music genres after they disbanded in 1972 having recording two highly regarded albums.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
These two are among my favourites:

I really like the line "Superman or Green Lantern ain't got nothing on me".

I like the interplay between Donovan's singing and Jimmy Page's guitar playing.

:rock:

Jackrabbit Slim

Reaction score
Hiya Sox - Good win again last neet. Thanks for the new tunes. Have a couple of Heron tracks but not aware of Mark Fry ot The Druids. Particularly like the Mark Fry track. Cheers fella

Drifter

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Incredible String Band yet. They're not for everybody. In fact, I'm sure if you looked up 'acquired taste' in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of them. I'd post some You Tube links but I'm new to the site and haven't sorted that out yet.

Drifter

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Sox. You can always count on someone who has a picture of Rory in his signature to come through.

It took great patience on my part to finally grasp with the ISB were all about but I'm glad I stuck with them.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ I know where you are coming from but I think when the vibe kicks in it makes it worth while. I have found this with a few bands. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online