1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre Internet vs Post Internet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Abyss' started by Marla 1976, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Marla 1976

Marla 1976 Banned

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. Marla 1976

Marla 1976 Banned

My brother-in-law absolutely insists on conversing with my husband via SMS. I've watched 20 minute text 'conversations' that could be had in 2 minutes on a call. Bizarre!?! Remember when you actually called people to share good news, congratulate them for something, wish them a happy birthday, etc. Now all those things are taken care of with a 5 second Facebook post. You don't have to put any effort or real emotion into maintaining relationships with people. It makes social interaction feel hollow to me.The other one that's worth remembering is why the Guinness Book of World Records exists. The reason is people kept arguing about random stuff over drinks , and back then you couldn't whip out your phone to answer. Instead we would argue about random facts for hours because no one knew the answer. That was a great time...everyone was right and everyone was wrong. It didn't matter the correct answer. The argument was the best part. Meetups were hard. Waiting around for your friends for long periods was common, because you had no idea why they were held up or if they were coming at all. Lots of value was placed on being on time even for casual things, because you didn't want to make people worried or upset. Also, you had to write down meetup times in a book, or remember them all and risk failing. Excitment over seeing someone you haven't seen in awhile. I run into someone I haven't seen in years and I already know everything that's happened and we just say hi and make small talk. It was a fun thing, giving highlights of your life in the past years. There are no highlights anymore.

3. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

Yeah it's ironic. Backwards world from Superman.
    What was supposed to make us all smarter has made us all dumber.
    What was supposed to connect and unite people has divided.
    In the end I seriously think that the human race has only really advanced to a place where we are capable of existing in semi small groups.
    Tribes. Our social advancement has out run our psychological advancement.
    All the bad stuff happens when people connect themselves to some abstract big ideology. Which are always the product of groups much too large for people to genuinely participate as a member. They only derive identity from it. Which in the end amounts to feeding the ego. And perhaps more importantly others are cast with negative identities. Reduced to stereotypes. Dumbed down to the simplest dynamic of "good" and "evil".
    All the big groups do this. Whether it's national identity or religion or whatever. It infects our psychology. At a very basic level.
    The very fact that people in a city can have a whole area where people are homeless, and living in squalor in plain view of others and nothing happens.
    If you imagine something more like a tribe, you know the classic desert island scenario where people are marooned and form a society. In that scenario, people wouldn't be able to distance themselves from others. If some part of the group was suffering they would feel a sense of responsibility for them.
    They literally could not help it. They couldn't duck it if they tried.
    But in our world we are able to look at others and not identify with them as being a part of our group.
    And that sense has only been amplified by the biggest group of all. The cyber society.
    Even when (maybe more when than any other time) people insist that they are acting in the interest of others it is actually just an act of further division that is just an attempt by people to create a pleasing identity. Virtue signalling. Lots of talk without the responsibility of action.
    Basically our tendency toward bullshiting ourselves has been supercharged by technology. Every selfish fucking brat has become mother fucking Teresa. But they never actually do anything except point fingers and call people names. Stomp there feet and demand that the rest of the world fix things.
    Welcome to bullshit world.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Southern Comfort likes this.
  4. Marla 1976

Marla 1976 Banned

I gotta admit I hate it when people use their phone at the expense of a conversation with someone in the present.

But you know who's to blame for that? It's not the phone.

5. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

Yet not many on here converse..in the real sense( at least with me)..are there CRF meetups..i know shag - all about so many...re : the chat room thread sums up my thoughts. As regards phones- i ban them at the table- we have never had a TV in the kitchen..i have more time on my hands now than ever before..but i have stopped watching news and have not read a newspaper in yonks.
    My Wife watches Barbituate TV constantly..from uncle Phil to that shitty Bride show where a girl is marrying a Visa seeker.
    I am too cynical to be dumbed down..i hate too much...too much!

Southern Comfort likes this.
  6. Marla 1976

Marla 1976 Banned

With smartphones and social media, we started using our phones all the time. Dating apps are now for everything: finding friends, hookups, a third for your threesome, another couple to swing, someone who just wants naked pics because it’s more exciting to jerk it to “real” people. IMO online dating would be so much better if all the pervert guys stopped using them, or simply learned to behave in a civilized manner. That's the root of the problem, for both women and men.

Today, most people actually use dating apps for non-social reasons. Some look for the ego boost, o see how many matches they can get, which makes them feel good. Other people swipe away mindlessly like playing a video game (blame that on Tinder, who invented the swipe).

Both those practices forget the actual human on the other side of the match. These practices also lead to a lot of ghosting and what looks like rejection to people looking for actual dates on dating apps. Add to that the phenomenon that people behave more aggressively online than they would in person, and you have a layer of outright asshole on top of it.

7. Jake T

Jake T Earth-bound Misfit

I've always hated that as well. But it's not just the smartphone age, I remember waiting in a long line at a UPS store and the clerk kept answering the phone and serving them! Why the hell do the people calling in get priority?

8. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

Very prescient thought from one of my favorite authors.
    https://nationalpost.com/opinion/douglas-coupland-how-the-internet-is-changing-us

“I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers.”

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  9. doswizard

doswizard "That Which does Not Kill Us makes Us Stronger!"

Sums it up!

:)

[​IMG]

EDOWriwXoAA_C0v.jpg

Nai Noswad likes this.
  10. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

I refused to pay a Cab Driver in England last year..the Asian guy was yacking from the second i got in- save for one second to ask me:" Postcode pleasings".
    "Don't know"..continued rabbiting in his lingo..after him taking me via Kamchatca and the Urals for only a 3 mile trip...he paused to ask for " seven pounds"...
    After various threats and comparisons of my Mother resembling a Donkey..i threw him 25p..a quarter.