1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre Internet vs Post Internet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Abyss' started by Marla 1976, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Marla 1976

Marla 1976 Banned

I can appreciate life without internet and life with it because i have lived through both. But I wouldn't trade being a kid in the era i grew up in. These kids with smartphones are ridiculous. Too much these days hinges on all the technological advances. I find it so rude that I can be having a conversation with someone and they are playing on their device. I miss the little moments that happen when your bored and coming up with things to do. I think that is why creativity is gone. It wasn't that long ago "internet" was something you did for like 40 min or an hour. Then you lived life. It was an activity. Now it is a way of life. People are on the internet 24-7. Constant information coming at you. Constant negativity. What I see is that very few people have the ability to keep some sort of balance in this matter. I even have a hard time doing it myself, contemplating doing away with my smartphone. The young generation doesn't even know what pre-internet was like.

The internet took all the mystery out of life. I remember going to the mall to see boys. People don't really communicate within the family as much as we used to, people waking down the street don't communicate with each other at all, people used to greet others with a hello, good morning or whatever, now if you were to do that they would look at you as if you have two fucking heads or something and that is if they even bothered to acknowledge you. We can speak to someone across the world via video but we can no longer speak to the person next to us because that safety net of a screen isn't there, there is so much falseness being shoved in our faces people start thinking it's the norm, people who live out their lives on social media showing everything they do or eat or wear have some serious issues in my opinion, some kids will believe some stranger they think they know on YouTube before their own family.

People actually talk more on texting and Facebook now rather than in person or over the phone. It's so sad. Some people won’t even answer their phone but yet they’ll always respond on text. My one friend claims she can text faster than she talks. You wonder if 20 years from now if people will talk even less and less due to how much farther technology will go. People are going to get carpel tunnel from using their fingers and thumbs to text and also next problems from looking down at their phones so much.

My daughter likes to stay in her room and text, listen to music, go on the computer and hang in her room. She comes down and we'll talk for like 10 minutes then back up to her room. I ask her if she wants to watch a movie with us and she says no. I've asked her if she is sad, etc and she says she is fine. She just likes to hang in her room. She is addicted to her goddamn phone. .

But there are some good things about the internet. Without the internet I wouldn't have the ability to ever hear things from great people like you here on this forum.

Aero, Frands, OldHippie and 1 other person like this.
  2. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

It wasn't worth the trade offs.
    I'd rather have record stores and a music business.
    And Movies that aren't all about comic books.
    And it might just be me but the internet was supposed to make everybody smarter but they just seem to be getting dumber. Collectively.

3. Marla 1976

Marla 1976 Banned

Leaving the house to get an actual, physical CD on release day was always such a great experience. I'd be so excited to get home and play it with no distractions while laying on my bed. I remember when I first started driving, how I'd literally fill a Saturday driving all around hitting used book and CD stores. Now, you can download a torrent of a band's entire back catalogue, including rarities, b-sides, fanclub releases, etc., and have it in minutes., and for free.
    Mix tapes. The younger generation can't really appreciate what a significant gesture making a mix tape used to be. Today? Everyone sees the Awesome mix (or whatever) from GotG, they google what songs compose it, and in 4 minutes you have every one of those songs. Back in the day, there was no internet to look up each one of those songs...and then even after you did manage to put together your play list, you needed to meticulously record each and every one of those songs to a tape (making sure you had enough time on each side of the tape, too).

It was a long and difficult process, and if someone ever gave you a mix tape, it was clear that they really cared about you. Anyone around my age (or older) can remember with nostalgia the process of putting together a mix tape. It was even more work when you didn't own the song you wanted on CD or tape and had to wait by the radio until they played it and hope the DJ didn't talk too much over the intro. A real labor of love.
    I remember spending nights by the radio with my index fingers eagerly twitching against the "play" and "record" buttons just waiting for the opportunity to get that one song I've been waiting for. I also remember the frustration that would sometimes occur when I wouldn't correctly calculate the times for all the songs and would be in the middle of recording my perfect playlist when ::CLICK!:: the tape just ended because I ran out of room.

I look back on those times fondly. When you wondered about something and didn't know the answer, it became a quest. It might have taken days, weeks, or even years. And then, finally, when you learned that Meat Loaf's real name was Michael, it was like opening the briefcase from Pulp Fiction. Then you'd go around dropping that random tidbit into conversations for the next year, just because.
    My friends and I in middle school and high school used to talk on the phone all the time. We could spend 2 hours on the phone and giggling over stuff.

When my crush would call, I'd be forced to have an actual conversation with him. There's no time to think hard about your next response, as it is now with texting.

Nowadays kids may pretend to be witty over the internet/texting, but in my time if you weren't that funny, there was nothing you could do.

SanguineRemedy and Nai Noswad like this.
  4. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

I used to bunk off School- in particular on a Tuesday morning. The Child Benefit was due on that day from Nottm Post Office..about £4.10 in cash, i'd miss the School bus on purpose- take off the uniform tie, stroll into the City and kill time in a Cafe until the PO and shops were open.
    Attention, Made In Japan, 2112, Thank Christ For The Bomb and Black And Blue were albums i particulary remember purchasing on the skive and shop sprees.
    The world then was much bigger and a trip to Birmingham or London was a big deal...the music press was scoured -NME, Sounds, Record Mirror were de rigueur as was Melody Maker..and rare records and T.shirts were available by sending Postal Orders to P.O Box numbers in some dingy basement in Bayswater or down the Old Kent Rd. I was lucky in the sense i had three older Brothers- who left their albums and singles behind , each time they setup shop with a new girlfriend..i added their 'leavings' to my collection.
    On the subject of girlfriends..that was embarrasing as we were'nt on the phone
    and standing in a red telephone box at 7pm with a stack of coins whispering sweet nothings whilst a guy outside is tapping his dime on the glass to call his bookie..did'nt really represent a bootie call!
    I was though lucky enough to have a good HiFi setup..with sizeable speakers...and even though a Leftie i played guitar and bass...which made me open to most musics. Certainly do recall sneaking a briefcase turntable/player into School and listening to Who's Next - smoking coloured cocktail cigarettes and thinking i was the shizz. As far as today is concerned..good luck to the youth and the wealth of sounds that are available to them...if i could've gotten hold of even a listen to Texas Cow Palace or Madison Square bootleg, i'd have been on it!
    Nothing can beat that first day feeling of a Fire And Water by Free though.

OldHippie likes this.
  5. Marla 1976

Marla 1976 Banned

From what I can figure out the youth don't even spend their time watching good stuff online about the world, animals, history, music, movies, tv shows etc, they want to see "reality TV stars" & total trash like that. Just look at that show Love Island & that is what the Internet has done to a whole generation, these people are borderline retarded I swear to God. The thing that drive me insane is people taking photos of their food when a good 1/3rd of the world has hardly anything to eat so they can post it on Instagram.Even the freedom to do as we pleased. I went outside without any knowledge of where I was or what I was doing by my parents as long as I was home for dinner. Now we are almost micro managed.

SanguineRemedy likes this.
  6. Lynch

Lynch I'm just here for the cookies!

instant and self-gratification ... likes and dislikes ... thumbs ups and thumbs downs from a horde of faceless people that people don't really even know... these are all the lifeblood of most social media (which SHOULD be called "Anti-Social media"), much of which has a lot to do with the dumbing down of society.

When and if the shit hits the fan and the grid gets taken out, there are a small handful of people (in respect to the population) in first world countries that could survive without much problem. The vast majority of people would crumble. That's not simply an internet thing, but it will play into it.

Look at how many "whoa is me" kids there are out there right now, who base their everyday lives on the aforementioned likes and thumbs ups on their social media posts, yet still piss and moan about how sad, lonely, depressed, etc they are. Can you imagine if they could only "socialize" with the 5 people around them after the grid gets wiped out and they couldn't "connect" to anyone anymore? All of those faceless friends that aren't really friends would be gone and their empty existence would be even more empty.

I love the instant access to information on the internet, but the social media aspect and the indoctrination pushed forth by the media is a HUGE downside to having that instant access to information.

7. OldHippie

OldHippie Resident Yooper

Kids growing up in today’s world are missing that magical place I was lucky to grow up in. It was called outside. It had everything we needed.

~Banshee~, Nai Noswad and Marla 1976 like this.
  8. Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort Long Hair Tribe

It's not just kids owning cell phones these day's. It seems everybody now has a cell phone and is using them all of the time while out in public..
    I'm one of those who leave my cell on the table and don't use it very much. I don't go online with it and my only computer use is to you tube songs and video's of how to do it yourself things around the house.. I buy CD's off Amazon and hit thrift shops and yard sales for those albums I have been looking for. Good thing I now have pretty much every album and lot's more that I've bought up over the years..

I come on here to say hi to friends and check out new groups.. I have been hanging out on the classic rock forum since 2005..
    My post are so off.. is because I have two dogs who start whinning when I get online.. In fact this post my fatty dog wanted to be fed and starting acting up.. Go figure..Just like kids..:confused:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Marla 1976 and Nai Noswad like this.
  9. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

Good subject matter. I'm torn..or very selective should i say. As regards my memories as a kid..yep i rambled off for hours, with mates exploring old factories and bomb sites and rows of condemned houses..we stripped the copper and lead and sold it to scrap merchants...carrying the loads on old prams. Long as we got back for tea at 5pm..no questions.
    But things were safer then( apart from the odd flasher.) in the local park. Nottm had several Mental Hospitals..and before Margaret Thatcher invented 'Care In The Community' these institutions housed the mentally ill. 'Cause..this changed..they closed those huge old buildings..turned those victorian buidings into trendy apts and left the poor patients sitting in Shopping Malls , rocking to and fro on bench seating giving you the Stephen King Kill Stare!
    Endless murder TV shows giving nutjobs the headsup on how to stuff a teenage girl in the trunk of a car...this kind of living makes me thank God my Daughter takes her phone...and answers it!!
    I used to spend my busfare on booze and walk home..not these days..some CSI savvy headcase is standing in an alley dressed as Typhoon Tracey with a mace in his hand.
    As regards kids living in the bedroom..i refused to be an obedient Parent and often flipped the fusebox or tore out the internet connection!
    At exam time- i made all 3 leave the phones on the landing...i got some abuse..but it worked in the end. Sadly only one buys actual records..Joe likes the feel of a real record and sleeve notes.
    I do moan about the shit sound coming out of a Samsung phone...and more than half of the production and instruments are lost coming out of that 'slit'.
    In a way i feel sorry for the youngsters of today..when you see folk designating their sexuality as a vegetable and sections wanting to ban Fathers and Mothers Day..a whole generation are gonna be in need of serious counselling.
    Come the day for me...up in smoke..with the 180g version of Speed King...on eleven , totes.

Marla 1976 likes this.
  10. Marla 1976

Marla 1976 Banned

I am appalled when I am out in public, and I see YOUNG kids...like ages 4 through 10, playing with the current galaxy phones. Their eyes never leave their phones to even look at the world around them.

When I grew up, there were no cell phones. It was "be home before dark." It was fun with out internet and cellphones. Things were much simpler.
    We managed to have social lives without cell phones.

We waited and called someone back when we got home. Or you went and knocked on someone's door to see if they were home. The rule of "be home before the sun goes down/streetlights come on" was the best rule. Your parents didn't care what happened as long as you were home by then. Going outside completely unsupervised, having to actually think and figure things out as opposed to googling everything. Oh, and walking to school was a blast. Being at home meant eating, doing homework, watching some TV, and sleeping. I'd say it was a lot better than staring into a screen for 8 hours a day.

Nai Noswad likes this.