Power Metal

Neverlife

Reaction score
I'm just gonna come out and say it....Power Metal kicks ass. There, I said it, I'm happy :D

I guess I'm just starting a thread to talk, live, breath, discuss, eat, swim in, and kiss Power Metal (too much?).

No rules, no limits, just stick within the general genre of Power (maybe some Symphonic) metal. Discuss bands, ideas, whatever. I just Neeeeed this thread to function.
-------------------

The Power metal band I'm most interested in at this moment are these.
-Celesty
-Heavenly
-Power Quest
-Falconer
-Sonata Arctica
-Rhapsody of Fire
-Cellador (From my Home, Omaha, Nebraska!)
-"maybe, just maybe" Stratovarius

I'll probably start talking about certain bands here and there, and get into some crazy obscure stuff as well.

Whooo! Power Metal

----------------
Now playing: Celesty - War Creations
via FoxyTunes

Neverlife

Reaction score
This song started on Foxy Tunes, and I remembered how much I love it, so I decided to share it (this will probably happen a LOT!).

I don't know anything else by the band, or anything of the band, besides the face that this song rocks. So enjoy

A New World - Dark Moor

----------------
Now playing: Dark Moor - A New World
via FoxyTunes

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am having a moment of extreme "Deja-Vu" reading this thread...:lmao:

Neverlife

Reaction score
Haha, I think I've done one everywhere. But this one is going to be massive, even if its populated by 99.9% my posts, (atleast until you or magic pull the plug on it)

This is my sanction of metal, in the world of chaos. Atleast in Power Metal the chaos is in a planet for away, and instead of politicians you have dragons (they are oh-so much easier to kill) and evil wizards.

----------------
Now playing: DragonForce - Valley Of The Damned
via FoxyTunes

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
We have a new addition you might want to check out, the BLOG is now open for business, you could put anything and everything you want in there, just open your User CP and scroll to the bottom and click on it. If you have any problems let us know, I have one myself but I have to edit it seeing I screwed up the introduction.

Neverlife

Reaction score
Would you recommend me using the Blog or outting my music needs here? It's pretty much up to you (I'll use both, I just don't want to put stuff you deem 'Blog material' in this thread, or vice-versa)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The main difference is you can post as much as you want in your BLOG, it is your personal space, you can allow comments or not depends on what you want.

I thought you might want to consider it, you can ask Magic about this thread if you like, it's fine with me.;)

Oblivion

Reaction score
Here's my little list... :) I added a small description to the bands that are less known...

You can't post about powermetal without Blind Guardian or Iced Earth in it.
I should also mention Demons and Wizards (co-op between BG en IE) and obviously also Sonata Arctica.

To put the deed in with the words: Blind Guardian/ Iced Earth/ Demons and Wizards and Sonata Arctica. (checklist: mention bands: DONE)

Before we continue: don't shoot me if I mention a band that isn't really powermetal. It could be I only have 1 album: and it sounds power to me, but isn't in general..

Kamelot. Use search for our home topic on them. They are great... Just great... Nothing more, nothing less.

Altaria: I only have the album Invitation.. His voice is somewhat weird.. You either like it or you don't... As for their music: nice, not very nice, just nice.. It's power... And you might like it...

Circle II Circle: They have been in my collection for ages it seems, they are a set value, and I'll never skip one of their songs.. But will you like their music? Hell, I wouldn't put a penny to that bet..

Dragonforce: You'll like them.. You'll have to. Won't get more powermetal than Dragonforce... It's a thin line between power and speedmetal, so forgive me if I cross it.. His voice is ehm... Special... check it out if you haven't already..

Elvenking. This you might not like. Depends on the album you download: some are folk, some alternative, some power, some speed...

katatonia --> relaxed metal, or even just rock?

Moonspell: ? Not sure: more black and gothic then power... But I don't seem to find a lot of power metal in my collection anymore.. Should check my bought albums instead of my computer, but don't feel like getting up...

Narnia: lol try to find this band on the net, I dare you... Ill chosen name I guess...

Rhapsody :D

Savage Circus: it has a story, can't remember, but the band was founded by some former band member of some band... think it was blind guardian, not sure...

Saxon
&
Stratovarius

Symphony X: progressive...

Savatage: there is a thread about them... They're special. And really worth the try. And don't stop with one album.. Take at least 2: dead winter dead and poets and madmen...

Therion; gothic (power) metal? maybe you'll like it??

Thurisaz: battle metal (how many sorts of metal are there ??). I recon battle metal is close related to power metal... You could always listen, since it's only a click away...

Trivion... Uhm: just mentioning them for completion...

:grinthumb

Neverlife

Reaction score
You can't post about powermetal without Blind Guardian or Iced Earth in it.
I should also mention Demons and Wizards (co-op between BG en IE) and obviously also Sonata Arctica.

Indeed, these 2 (and their co-op) are amazing. If your really not into the really cheesy feel of a lot of Power Metal, these are the bands to look to, because they have a much darker feel to them, with Blind Guardian still being very Fantasy based, and Iced Earth...well I dunno I've never gave them a proper listening. But Demon's and Wizards is amazing, the combination of Hansi's amazing vocals, and Jon's very distinct guitar style (which I love, his gallop's are exhilarating).

Altaria: I only have the album Invitation.. His voice is somewhat weird.. You either like it or you don't... As for their music: nice, not very nice, just nice.. It's power... And you might like it...

Circle II Circle: They have been in my collection for ages it seems, they are a set value, and I'll never skip one of their songs.. But will you like their music? Hell, I wouldn't put a penny to that bet..

I've heard of both of them, but never listened to them beyond when they come up randomly on Last.FM, I've put up with some crazy voices (and the more distinct it is, the more I normally like it). I'll give them both a listen for sure.

Dragonforce: You'll like them.. You'll have to. Won't get more powermetal than Dragonforce... It's a thin line between power and speedmetal, so forgive me if I cross it.. His voice is ehm... Special... check it out if you haven't already..

Dragonforce was my gateway to metal, and I think that everyone who enjoys this genre should listen to, (In my Opinion) their best album. Valley of the Damned.

Elvenking. This you might not like. Depends on the album you download: some are folk, some alternative, some power, some speed...

katatonia --> relaxed metal, or even just rock?

Moonspell: ? Not sure: more black and gothic then power... But I don't seem to find a lot of power metal in my collection anymore.. Should check my bought albums instead of my computer, but don't feel like getting up...

I've listened to some Elvenking, and its hit and miss, a lot of their songs seem to change style, so everyone should find something they love. I'm a big fan of the songs "The Divided Heart" and "The Scythe"

I'll give a listen to the other 2 for sure, I listened to Moonspell once upon a time, and I remember being intrigued, but I think I got distracted, hah. I really like it when bands weave the darker Gothic style into their music. Like the Death Metal vocals that the dude from Epica does.

Savage Circus: it has a story, can't remember, but the band was founded by some former band member of some band... think it was blind guardian, not sure...

Yeah, I remember reading something about them too, its a dude from Blind Guardian, and somehow he sounds a LOT like Hansi, but its a different feel to the music.

Symphony X: progressive...

Thurisaz: battle metal (how many sorts of metal are there ??). I recon battle metal is close related to power metal... You could always listen, since it's only a click away...

I've only ever really listened to 1 song by Symphony X (Set the World on Fire) but what a hell of a song it is. Their guitarist is pretty damn good, and they play really well together.

Thurisaz I've never heard of, but I listened to something deemed 'Battle Metal' once, sometimes its too cheesy...even for me, but I'll give them a listen. I think the band I listened to was Turisas (wow...those names are REALLY close)
-----------

Haha, see what I did there? I made a post without much thinking of my own :D (or maybe that should be a sad face?)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I see OB is awake now...:)

I have every Symphony X album, they are a very good band, they remind me of Dream Theater, very progressive.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online