Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols (1977)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

tols-Never-Mind-the-Bollocks-Heres-the-Sex-Pistols.jpg
Band - Sex Pistols
Genre - Punk Rock
Released - October 1977

Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols, or simply Never Mind The Bollocks, is the only official studio album recorded by the Sex Pistols.
Johnny Rotten's rabid, foaming delivery and his bitterly sarcastic attacks on pretentious affectation and the very foundations of British society were all carried out in the most confrontational, impolite manner possible.
Most imitators of the Pistols' angry nihilism missed the point. Underneath their shock tactics were social critiques carefully designed for maximum impact. Never Mind the Bollocks exemplified the frustration, rage, and dissatisfaction of that the British working class had with the establishment.
The Pistols paved the way for countless other bands to make similarly rebellious statements, but very few were as daring or effective. The only band who was as nasty, sarcastic, or effective like the Pistols were The Dead Kennedys.
It's easy to see how the band's energy, overwhelmingly snotty attitude, and Rotten's furious ranting sparked a musical revolution. Those qualities are still strong even today. Never Mind the Bollocks is simply one of the greatest records of all time.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Re: Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

That record is a brilliantly dreadful masterpiece.

I remember it being so badass, to me, when I was a kid. For some reason I've always liked "Bodies" best. That, and I remember also liking "Problems" though being irritated by Sid's "probbbLEMMMMM" tirade at the end.

Though, I think, had "Friggin' in the Riggin'" been on that album, I would have listened to it a lot more. Or at least still dust off the old LP once in a while to this day.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

ComfortablyNumb:

Rabid, foaming, bitter, sarcastic, pretentious, affectation, impolite, nasty, snotty, furious ranting - man, I love the imagery in your post!

:grinthumb

Never Mind the Bollocks is simply one of the greatest records of all time.

I agree, since it has been among the most influential records of all time.

Most imitators of the Pistols' angry nihilism missed the point. Underneath their shock tactics were social critiques carefully designed for maximum impact. Never Mind the Bollocks exemplified the frustration, rage, and dissatisfaction of that the British working class had with the establishment.

But what if a band's message is that there are no underlying messages? What if a band's message is that we're rude, crude and loud and that we've come for your daughters and there's nothing you can do about it? What about those bands that opted to strip away the "subtleties" from the message in the music of the Sex Pistols and just went with the in-your-face nihilism? Don't forget that those bands could be very real and very good too.

:guitar:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Very well done my friend...but I can't stand the Sex Pistols myself.:nw:

I give them their due and their place in the mosaic of the punk rock scene, but they lose me when I listen to them...just not my kind of band.

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score

Pure classic

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Prob one of the most important albums of the Era, The Punk Scene, and music genre.
on my Top 200 of all time....

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

The new reunion DVD is really cool....great write up too!!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online