Register to remove these ads

Piracy in Somalia

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion and Debates' started by annie, Oct 31, 2009.

1. annie

annie metal maniac

I don't know about you but I am tired of reading about people who lurk around dangerous countries and get captured or kidnapped and then their government is expected to bail them out. Another one yesterday...

Paul and Rachel Chandler are the British couple who were kidnapped by Somalian pirates in the Indian Ocean, who want $7 million for their release. The Chandlers were well aware they have been sailing through pirate territory, according to their blog entries. In February, they reported passing through a "high risk of piracy area," traveling in a convoy of five yachts for protection. Yet, they did it anyway.

Piracy expert Nick Davies of the Merchant Maritime Warfare Center said the couple should have known better. "They sailed into the lion's den and they did it knowingly and they should be sternly told they have created an international scenario that was entirely avoidable."

Not only an international scenario, they have now put the UK government into an untenable position.

The multimillion-dollar ransoms the pirates regularly collect are a strong lure for young gunmen in a country where nearly half the population is dependent on aid. The high-seas hijackings have persisted despite an international armada of warships deployed by the United States, the European Union, NATO, Japan, South Korea and China to patrol the region.

So what were they thinking? Do you think that the British government should pay to get them back when they acted so recklessly? Should governments pay out huge sums to rescue citizens who ignore all warnings and like fools rush in without caring about the consequences.

This also applies to the American "hikers" in Iraq who were captured inside Iran recently. Who in his right mind goes hiking on the Iranian border. Sheesh!!

2. LG

LG Fade To Black

I agree with everything you said Annie.

I don't want to come across like a barbarian here, but if I was in charge I would sink every pirate ship off the coast of Somalia, and land my special ops troops to take care of the coastal ports where they are located.

They have butchered numerous sailors who have no choice but to sail through those waters carrying their cargoes to countries all over the world. Just because a country is having hard times is no excuse for this utterly despicable behavior.

As for the dumb-ass British couple,,,I don't know what I would do, leave them in the pirates custody for a while to make sure they realize the depth of their stupidity, then, sigh probably pay a settlement to get them out.

After that I would make a public policy announcement that any Citizen insane enough to put themselves in harms way is going to be left to pay the price of their actions. Maybe that would get their attention.

3. Flower

Flower retired

4. Hepcat

Hepcat retired

Annie:

No. governments should not be paying ridiculous sums of taxpayers money to bail out the reckless or stupid. Governments should instead spend milder sums of taxpayers' money to blow the pirates out of the water, an action that's fully permitted under international maritime law.

:drums:

5. annie

annie metal maniac

Thank you all...I am glad that I am not the only one. :cheers:

6. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

I think the UK government should pay, but make the morons that got captured work it off for the government or have them sell the yacht and pay it themselves, that or they could just go bust the living hell out of those pirates with their navy, I think the british navy might win =/

7. annie

annie metal maniac

I honestly do not see why the world has been sitting idly by while these pirates own the seas. Wake up! This is the 21st Century man!

8. annie

annie metal maniac

That is a good idea. Why not make them pay the ransom themselves? They must be rich.

9. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

thats one of the two benefits of selling their yacht :cheers:
    the second benefit is that they couldn't do the same thing again, you know they'd be dumb enough to do it again too

10. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Captain Karma

If the country is so dependant on foreign aid I don't understand why the countries who supply aid to Somalia don't put more pressure on the Somalian government to put a stop to it. I am sure that is a simplistic approach and it is not that easy but it sure seems like a good first step. Maybe it is a good second step, the first being to sink a few pirate ships.