Review Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)

album review

Rate this album 1-10

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 2 5.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 5.1%

Votes: 9 23.1%

Votes: 12 30.8%

Votes: 6 15.4%

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
It provided some great concert material. Overall it gets :good:good:good:good:good:good:good. There are better PF albums.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I've always found "Piper" to be an exhilarating montage of just what made 1960's psych pop so intrinsically palpable to those with penchant towards the ethereal and philosophically pleasing indulgent(perhaps "Chapter 24" alone covers both bases here).Syd Barrett,meanwhile,remains true rock enigma.Vision so original,even its at first seemingly cryptic designs quickly and inexplicably become accessible to the listener through some unnamed source of cosmic osmosis,,....

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
It provided some great concert material. Overall it gets :good:good:good:good:good:good:good. There are better PF albums.

I've always found "Piper" to be an exhilarating montage of just what made 1960's psych pop so intrinsically palpable to those with penchant towards the ethereal and philosophically pleasing indulgent(perhaps "Chapter 24" alone covers both bases here).Syd Barrett,meanwhile,remains true rock enigma.Vision so original,even its at first seemingly cryptic designs quickly and inexplicably become accessible to the listener through some unnamed source of cosmic osmosis,,....

both of yous are making very valid points on "Piper" but I`ll just give it to @Mr. Shadow:tup::tup::tup::tup:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
7. No way is this close to a 10.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score

This. Well said, intricately so.

I give it an 8. As my favorite band, Pink Floyd's roots cannot be forgotten as much of their future content was a tribute to Syd or inspired by Syd. Psychedelic rock is something I've always perceived as an indubitable epitome of what experimentation in music is, a true representation of freedom. The album is an excellent representation itself and is a colossally prominent influence to many musicians from the past and present.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDevil

Reaction score
One of the greatest psychedelic albums of all time. It really stands up today

Frands

Reaction score
8 big stars! The tune 'Astronomy Domine' was the first one I heard from the album 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn', not in 1967 when it was released but late 1969. A great album. Also their album 'Atom Heart Mother' and the tune 'Fat Old Sun' grabbed me at that time.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online