Review Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)

album review

Rate this album 1-10

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 2 5.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 5.1%

Votes: 9 23.1%

Votes: 12 30.8%

Votes: 6 15.4%

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

Guitartlp

Steal your face
Reaction score
I've never done an album review before but I'm going to give it the best i got. So here goes nothin:

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
1713411948354.jpeg

I enjoyed this album alot. Pink Floyd's first album and the only one with leader Syd Barret on almost every track of the album ( Waters being the composer of "Take up thy sethoscope and walk".) I bought it and played it over and over for about a week nonstop. I started with Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon album (which is a bad place to start being i was relatively dissappointed when i heard Pink Floyd's other albums.) I felt this way until i heard this album. Syd Barret took this band in a whole other direction musically.

Track #1 Astronomy Domine starts you off in a space ship and your leaning back slowly ready for liftoff. You wind up soaring through space at the speed of light looking out at the planets below you.

1. "Astronomy Domine" Barrett and Richard Wright 4:12

2. "Lucifer Sam" Barrett 3:07

3. "Matilda Mother" Wright and Barrett 3:08

4. "Flaming" Barrett 2:46

5. "Pow R. Toc H." (Barrett, Roger Waters, Wright, Nick Mason) Barrett and Waters 4:26

6. "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" (Waters) Waters 3:05

Side two

No. Title Lead vocals Length

1. "Interstellar Overdrive" (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason) Instrumental 9:41

2. "The Gnome" Barrett 2:13

3. "Chapter 24" Barrett 3:42

4. "Scarecrow" Barrett 2:11

5. "Bike"

My second favorite song on the album is probably the most catchy and that's "Bike."

The Songs flow together very well and switch emotions very quickly. Syd Barret, before he had his "mental breakdown" displayed very emotional and creative songwriting that made this album a gem.

I give it a 9.5/10

Attachments

• pinkfloyd-album-piper_at_the_gates_of_dawn.png
    pinkfloyd-album-piper_at_the_gates_of_dawn.png
    832 bytes · Views: 3

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive are two my favorites from the awesome Floyd.

I rate it an 84 out of 100 or an 8 in this case

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

A very solid review Garrett. I don't much care for "Piper..." myself. I think it's a very influential album without a doubt but outside of that I can't say much else for it in a positive way.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score

Just like you and many others, I was more familiar with and a fan of post Barrett era Floyd... and then I picked up Piper and fell immediately in love with it. Just like you, I've played this record non stop when I first purchased it. In my opinion, everything about this album is perfect; the songwriting, the way the instruments flowed together, etc. Barrett's two singles with Floyd; "See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne" are both solid songs too. It was clear that Syd Barrett had an incredible gift of songwriting and if he didn't destroy himself with drugs there's no telling how huge he would have been.

Those that have never listened to this album and are Pink Floyd fans need to understand that this album is not going to be what they'd expect. If you think you're going in and expecting to get material like off of Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here, you'll be sadly disappointed. However what you get is a psychedelic gem that in my opinion let the floodgates open for alternative rock.

I think you did a fabulous job guitartip. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree with LadyB nicely done Guitartip.:cheers:

I have had an ongoing discussion about Piper for ages...as far as where it stands in relation to their other albums...but that's an entirely different topic.

I give it a 6.5...on Joe's old scale of measurement.;)

Syd

Reaction score

I give it a 10. One of my all-time favourite albums, and of course my avourite from Pink Floyd. The band was never the same once Syd left.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I'll give it an 8! I like it just fine....great album...but it's not their "10" yet for me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online