Pink Floyd - Meddle (1971)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: Pink Floyd ~ Meddle (1971)

Sound review of my favourite Floyd album Magic :grinthumb Had it in my collection for nearly 30 years and never get tired of playing it just superb.:cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Are you sure that the crowd recording was on Wembley in London? “You’ll Never Walk Alone” is the official Liverpool FC anthem and was played by Liverpool F.C. Kop. The home stadium is in Liverpool on Anfield Road. I couldn't find on the internet information about the place of recording and I'm just curious.

From my understanding it is a crowd recording from Wembley, and not the KOP choir. I am not so sure about the recording location, since you can clearly hear the crowd chanting "Liverpool, Liverpool" at the end of the song....I would be inclined to agree with you, bob, that it is recorded at the Liverpool FC stadium. However, the way the sounds and effects are layered on this song (the ending isn't the only place on the song that you hear crowds), it wouldn't suprise me at all if this crowd recording has layered effects as well.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I did some digging and from what I can gather the song is recorded in Anfield, Liverpool's home stadium and a legendary field. That is what is on the wiki page I looked at, the song itself is part of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical "Carousel"....never knew that little tidbit.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Honestly where I got the Wembly information was from Rolling Stone.....an old article.

I dont know what source to trust, Rolling Stone or Wiki. ???!!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I wished I had my old vinyl copy I am sure it said something about it in the liner notes...but all I have is the CD now...well I have the MFSL version too which is EPIC!!

:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I downloaded the booklets from the album, and they dont help much. It just gives credit to Rogers & Hammerstein.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

Yes an excellent review to a brilliant album.

It was Actually my first foray into the world of Floyd before DSOTM, my brother had given me a cassette tape of Meddle and I remember thinking this is not Pink Floyd, but as the years wore on and I discovered their early psychedelic/experimental leanings, the 1968-1972 period has become my favorite era of the band.

Tidbits: Seamus the dog was owned by Steve Marriott of Humble Pie. David Gilmour was dog sitting while Humble Pie Was on tour in the US.

In Live at Pompeii, The canine vocalist, Mademoiselle Nobs, was owned by concert promoter Claude Nobs, of Montreux Jazz Festival fame.

b.o.b.

Reaction score

First time when I heard Echoes was when I watched on TV the Live at Pompeii concert. I was literally speechless :bow:.

Manic Monkey

Skirt Herder
Reaction score

Meddle is a very underrated Pink Floyd album. It's my 5th favorite CD of theirs. Fearless and Echoes are my favorites.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online

No members online now.