Philadelphia Orchestra bankrupt

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Peaks and valley Kuaizi, classical has lasted centuries had numerous ups and downs and is still with us. Although the last century it's more about movie soundtracks for composers than the glory days of the great symphonies etc.

Classical will survive, it will rise and fall but never die. I firmly believe Beethoven and the other greats music will last indefinitely.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I feel like Kuaizi, it is a shame if these orchestra's fail and have to fold up. There is no shame in bankruptcy, if it saves the business.

Maybe these orchestra's need more publicicity. You just don't see them get much publicity. How is the public going to go to the concerts if they don't know they exist!

I dont believe for a millisecond that classical music is going out of style and playing instruments is a thing of the past. The growth in band members in schools nationwide is testament to kids wanting to learn and having an appreciation for classical music.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I feel like Kuaizi, it is a shame if these orchestra's fail and have to fold up. There is no shame in bankruptcy, if it saves the business.

Maybe these orchestra's need more publicicity. You just don't see them get much publicity. How is the public going to go to the concerts if they don't know they exist!

I dont believe for a millisecond that classical music is going out of style and playing instruments is a thing of the past. The growth in band members in schools nationwide is testament to kids wanting to learn and having an appreciation for classical music.

One orchestra (I don't remember which) boosted subscriptions and ticket sales by opening Facebook and Twitter pages.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^^^^that is evidence that these Orchestra's need more publicity. Money spent on PR is well worth it, IMHO.

I have never seen any advertisements for an Orchestra concert. I have seen PR for Trans-Siberian Orchestra when it comes here locally. They seem to be thriving and thier music, for the most part, is seasonal.

EDIT: The London Symphony Orchestra is on Twitter/Facebook/Myspace.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
^^Peaks and valley Kuaizi, classical has lasted centuries had numerous ups and downs and is still with us. Although the last century it's more about movie soundtracks for composers than the glory days of the great symphonies etc.

Classical will survive, it will rise and fall but never die. I firmly believe Beethoven and the other greats music will last indefinitely.

Oh classical will no doubt survive. But in America? Who knows... Americans just have a different attitude about work and the arts, and its coming through in the orchestras.
When I heard Berlin when they came through Chicago, it was mind blowing. It was hands down the best performance I have EVER heard. It brought me to tears it was so good. And to think, my sister was in Berlin a few weeks ago and told me they have a handful of orchestras for one city (like 5 or 6?), and they are all amazing. Yet here, the major cities (except for a few, Chicago included) are struggling to support one orchestra! (and the minor orchestras in the suburbs are pretty much garbage)
To me its just a different culture and dynamic here in the states - one that doesn't really give a crap about the "music to put you to sleep." Because its more than 3 minutes long and actually requires thought and an attention span.

Sorry for the rant, I am extra grumpy these past few days lol :bonk:

Anyways, if anyone is interested in hearing the best of the best, check out this site. I believe this was the most intelligent thing an orchestra has done to welcome in the new age of technology and generating revenue from all over the globe:
The Berliner Philharmoniker's Digital Concert Hall

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Indeed you are right about the Massive difference between us and the old European orchestras. I can only hope this is a temporary phase, and that something will happen and younger people will set aside their normal music for a bit and actually listen to classical and what it has to offer.

You are a good example you have Slayer as your avvy and yet love classical as well, music is inclusive not exclusive. The big orchestras in the States will survive, I just think this is an anomaly not a foreshadowing of doom.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I've been listening to ALOT more classical music these days. Seriously...ALOT more. I may have to truck with you sometime Kuaizi for a night out of Classical Music. I'm game!! My neighbor works for Orchestra Hall downtown and said he could get me tix. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online