Philadelphia Orchestra bankrupt

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That is really sad news...:(

No surprise to me really, the demographics are inescapable, as older fans stop going to classical concerts, there are not enough new younger people taking their place.

I am not going to comment on the contract/legal issues, but do hope that they find a way to keep making music even if they have to tap into their endowment fund.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
this could be nothing more than a business strategy to get members to accept pay cuts and to alter the retirement benefits.

I am always skeptical when a business as big as the Philadelphia Orchestra file a reorganization bankruptcy. They have financial forecasters, etc to help them plan for future expenses and incomes. It is not like they just discovered the economy is bad, and have to make quick changes. Chapter 11 is a powerful business tool.

They will do whatever it takes to keep the Orchestra alive and thriving, even if it means debt restructuring.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I can't see the musicians being to blame for this, they've already taken salary cuts, but if it comes down to playing for a lot less money, or not playing at all and doing a "real job" I guess they'll have to do whatever it takes to make the numbers work.

Over 15 years ago classical music made a comeback, with the arrival of the CD and downloading, but I guess that never transfered to the live concerts that are their main source of revenue.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
It's a change in the entire scene and that's due to the "regulars" probably getting older coupled with the economy and not an outpouring of newer and younger fans.

In the end, I would guess that the gov't will bail them out for a while because we "need to protect the arts". no offense to anyone that's really into it (or any other 'art'), but I have a huge problem with the government handing over money for stuff like that. But I could be talking out my ass on it too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I guess it also has something to do with the stature of the orchestra involved. Those chairs are filled with some of the best at their craft in the world, no different than a starting spot on a football team. So their salaries would be commensurate with their peers, the London Symphony, the Vienna, Berlin Philarmonic and so on. Our modest symphony never has any problems, they get full houses and we just built a new state of the art concert hall for them with pipe organ about 10 years ago.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
It's a change in the entire scene and that's due to the "regulars" probably getting older coupled with the economy and not an outpouring of newer and younger fans.

In the end, I would guess that the gov't will bail them out for a while because we "need to protect the arts". no offense to anyone that's really into it (or any other 'art'), but I have a huge problem with the government handing over money for stuff like that. But I could be talking out my ass on it too.

Don't worry about your wallet Lynch, this is a city problem, not a federal government one. Already the orchestra is launching a "Listen With Your Heart" public fund raising campaign. They are asking the citizens of Philadelphia to join the fight for the institution that has helped to define the city's greatness. Besides, the government is too busy spending your money on launching Tomahawk missiles

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Besides, the government is too busy spending your money on launching Tomahawk missiles.
Well, the gov't is busy spending money on a shitload of things they don't need to be spending it on (on both sides of the political and social spectrum) but I'm not going to go into it since this is not the place for it.

Back to the topic, if they can get the public to fund it, that's great, but I think it would be a temporary band-aid in a bigger overall issue, which is being able to financially support something that has a dwindling fanbase, especially with the current and flakey economy.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
The sad thing is, this orchestra isn't the only one having trouble. Syracuse Orchestra just folded and laid off all of their members, and the Detroit Symphony is struggling badly as well.

I think classical music is important for culture. It's too bad most people don't see it that way.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online

Members online