Phil Collins (Official Thread)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised to see that there is no thread here for Collins' solo material. Yeah yeah I know that the Genesis purists hate him... :p but I like a number of his songs, both with Genesis and solo.

Here's a great song that I heard on the radio today after a long time:

Both Sides Of The Story

It is refreshing to hear such songs from Collins because he normally writes a lot of love songs. But this one is a social commentary... not to mention a great rocker!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I find a little Phil goes a long way for me, but I do like his work in Genesis when he took over for Peter Gabriel, his solo work not so much.

In The Air Tonight would be my pick as his best solo song.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
LG, I urge you to listen to the song I posted (if you haven't already) and tell me what you thought about it. It is one of my favourite Collins solo songs!

In The Air Tonight is probably his most popular song. I do like it but I prefer several others to it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'll listen to the song you posted but have to switch computers first MW.;)

In The Air Tonight was a song I used to have on a mix-tape that I listened to before playing football or hockey, it was one of my 'pysche up' songs before battle.:box:

I do love the 'air' over the drum kit when it kicks in, a really cool effect that sounded fantastic on vinyl, the CD loses quite a bit unfortunately.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Big Genesis fan...have all their stuff...and I have a few Phil solo CD's...nice to have a thread on him

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Through the late '70s and '80s Phil certainly had a bit of a golden touch with anything he put his hand to, and I know for a fact that the other Genesis guys appreciated what he brought to the party with his writing and production skills. With his input Genesis changed from a rather 'arty' purist band (without much money) into a commercial success (loads of cash).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I can agree with you about the financial success of Genesis when it was Tony, Mike and Phil. But for me the early albums are still the best, what a talented band they were when they started out.

Favorite later Genesis album...ABACAB, followed by Duke.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I love his solo work! :grinthumb

Easy Lover~Phil Collins & Phil Bailey :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online