Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Okay Hep here are some pictures of my vintage 1979 pressing of the 1812 Overture. The plastic sleeve it came with still has the old price tag, $27.00.

I'm sorry about the quality of the pictures, my camera is nothing to brag about but it'll give you the idea.

The front cover.

A couple of the cannons and the bell they used.

My vinyl record, look at the grooves close to the inside label, I know it's hard to make out the details but the spacing is amazing, those are the massive cannons recorded down to zero hertz.

I added this one of a side shot just to see if the grooves show up better.

I have owned this album for 30 years and it's in perfect condition, one of my most prized recordings without a doubt.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Interesting! Yes, I can see the wide grooves from the first pic!

I'm also impressed with you having something by the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. I'd like to add something by the Cincinnati Symphony to my collection.

:grinthumb

This is the one I have by the Los Angeles Philharmonic conducted by Zubin Mehta:

51iKtjTB1EL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The grooves though don't look nearly as wide as the ones in your record.

:wa:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hep you Must post the pictures of your new equipment, in your Stereo thread...I am curious what you have added.:D

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
By new I mean within the last eighteen months! I posted images of all my equipment in the stereo thread already.

I will, however, take and post pictures of my stereo setup/listening room in January. The Xmas tree would obstruct the view right now .

In the meantime, I'll take some up to date pictures of the cabinets with my various collectibles. I might even ask The MAN to hold up some of my comic mags for closer inspection!

:D

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Ah Okay I thought maybe you bought the Thorens TT you posted a picture of, and some new speakers...time for you to dust that thread off, and I'll post some more pictures later today or tomorrow myself.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Great choice MP...I have all of his symphonies.:tup:

Does that include the little-known unnumbered symphony of his, the "Manfred?" It's one of my favorites(as is the 6th), but I have to admit the only reason I ever even knew about it was because one section of it had been used over the closing credits in an old BBC production of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.

BTW, since we're looking at our old recordings of the 1812, here's mine. This album has the distinction of being only the 2nd classical album I ever bought (the first was an old mono recording of the Minnesota Orchestra doing a suite from Swan Lake by, naturally, Tchaikovsky). Sorry about the crappy picture:

1812.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Yeah I have Manfred too Craig...I went on a Mission to complete his symphonies about 10 years ago, I have them all now.:tup:

Nice picture too, nothing wrong with any record with H.V. Karajan's name on it. I haven't seen the "Angel" label in a long time.:grinthumb

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I haven't seen the "Angel" label in a long time.:grinthumb

I didn't know for a long time that Angel was the US arm of EMI, that the same recordings were issued on each one depending on which side of the pond they were on. Kind of like London/Decca.

Can you tell things are slow at work right now? ;)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Sleeping Beauty is very nice, but if I had to pick one Tchaikovsky ballet it would absolutely have to be Swan Lake. Even more than the venerable Nutcracker.

And no, not because it was the featured music in the original Bela Lugosi Dracula. That was just a plus. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.