Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky 1840 - 1893

Yeah time for another one of my all time favorites, this time Tchaikovsky is on the menu. He was beset with personal drama for most of his life, sounds like a familiar refrain along with many other of his contemporaries. Being in the music business has always been tough, and Pyotr's journey was no different. He studied at a Western Conservatory rather than a traditional school like many of the other Russian composer's of his era, so he kind of stood apart from any of them when it came to his musical compositions. I love his music, and I don't care that many critics musicians and other composers have felt the urge to denigrate his legacy over the years, he wrote some of the most heart wrenching music I have ever listened to, his ability to get the strings to produce what I call the "Tchaikovsky Mood", is amazing to me, a kind of signature of his works.

I won't go into all the details here, but he is in my top 5 composer's of all time easily, one of the best Russia ever produced.

Seeing it's the festive season here's an excerpt from the Nutcracker, but it should Always be played in it's entirety in my opinion.

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.

I am posting the covers from my copy of "The Nutcracker", this version is stunning, recorded on one of the best classical music labels in history, "Living Presence" and the name is fitting to the musical experience.

Last edited:

Oblivion

Reaction score
I really should pay more attention the Tchaikovsky... I don't know why I never put any of his music on...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thanks for stopping by OB, and yeah you should play his 1812 Overture if nothing else.

Flower you have Impeccable taste.:bow:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Great choice MP...I have all of his symphonies.:tup:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
In high school I was accustomed to having my father tell me to turn that awful noise down whenever I cranked up my stereo. When I took to playing classical symphonies on occasion, he began to tell me to play classical music if I must disturb his peace and quiet with my records. I had also heard him say on more than one occasion that Tchaikovsky's music was the closest to his heart. So one day I mischievously borrowed a copy of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture from the library and gave it a spin. Lo and behold my cunning scheme unfolded exactly as I'd planned. My father shouted that if I wanted to play anything then it should be classical! Out I danced with a grin on my face and a record sleeve of his so-called favourite composer in my hand! Victory!

:grinthumb

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Great story Hep I would say your Dad was "Hoist by his own Petard", in this case.:tup:

I love that piece it was the first Tchaikovsky recording I bought, the Telarc vinyl record, which I still own. I will take some pictures of it and post them tomorrow, mostly for you Hep to check out seeing you will enjoy them, I hope so anyway.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online