Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nutcracker for me buddy, but Swan Lake is first class as well.

No comment about "How slow it is at work".;)

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Metalpriest - you have made my day with that link. That's the legendary Bud Herseth when he was principal trumpet. He was a god, as you have heard. I surely miss him being in the symphony, he was the Michael Jordan of trumpet.
The CSO still sounds good (though not as good as that time and before), and I saw them perform Tchaik 6 a few years ago and it was a top notch performance. Gustavo Dudamel came to town with L.A. this year and performed the same thing, and for the top paid orchestra in the states, I wasn't impressed. Of course you have heard the expectations that I have when I go to listen :D

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score
Perhaps one of Pete's lesser-known gems:
Serenade for Strings.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I have that one on my Living Presence CD Steve, it is excellent.:mn:

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score
LG: Tis indeed excellent. :)
In fact a lot can be learned from listening to these classical guys (can't think of an acclaimed female, though credit to Clara Schuman etc), because with the increasing availability of synth strings and such (and bedroom studios), knowing how to put a decent string backing to a riff is something a lot of rock musicians could well do with learning.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are spot on target Steve, there is much to be learned from the old masters.

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I am just getting into listening to Tchaikovsky and isn't he wonderful!

This would be one of his better known concertos but I am slowly broadening my horizons.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You are definitely expanding your musical horizons Sunny, I love Tchaikovsky he is on my top 5 composer list easily. The music he wrote for the string section in his symphonies are magnificent and never cease stop me dead in my tracks when I listen to them.

If you are ever interested in picking up all of his symphonies plus many of his famous "Fiddly Bits", there is an excellent 7 CD set by Riccardo Muti released a few years ago that is very highly thought of and a bargain price too, I have two sets of his symphonies now I just picked this one up a couple of weeks ago.

1278939643_1a7c4447fc71.jpeg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online