Peter Green schizophrenia

Damocles74

Redditor lucis aeternae
Reaction score
What exactly happened to Peter Green in Munich in 1972? The commune he was lured to ruined him somehow (spiked lsd)?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think it was 'spiked' LSD, but maybe instead too much of it. Schizophrenia is a strange illness which has many triggers, one being drug abuse. Infact, there are people who develop schizophrenia who have never used drugs.

It is unfair to blame another person for Peter Green's actions (drug use). He chose to take LSD, no one forced him. Most schizophrenics lead very productive lives with the proper treatment, and I feel Peter falls into this category. He is noted to be one of the best guitar players in rock!

Damocles74

Redditor lucis aeternae
Reaction score
I think it had to do with your environment as well. Sunny California is more conducive to a good trip than bosky and grim Germany.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
you could be right about that, but I would think the heat would sweat it out faster, too .

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
LSD is a serious drug, some of my friends took "purple dragon" when they were in Hawaii and it scared the ***** out of them both. I have never taken it myself, I saw it's effects on my older brother and that was enough for me.

Peter Green was doing okay last time I saw him was at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony playing Black Magic Woman with Carlos Santana, last year I think it was.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
This is a fantastic DVD ..

In it Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Jeremy Spencer talk openly about that party in Germany where Peter and Danny Kirwin experienced the bad acid trip.
They also talk about their early experiments trying out acid with members of The Grateful Dead.
Peter also talks about his mental health issues .. a brilliant insight IMO.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
The same community luring that happened to Jacko when he suddenly went into "hibernatoin" at a certain point in his life.....I believe all consequences that brought to his madness first and lastly to his inevitable ultimate death...ponder people ponder!!

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
This is taken from an article on Peter Green by Martin Celmins in Record Collector, November 2008:

That he was determined to leave the commercial
keep-the-hits-coming world behind became crystal
clear a month before he quit Mac when the band
played in Munich. Much controversy still surrounds
'the Munich incident': Fleetwood, Spencer and
McVie remain convinced that their leader was
somehow stolen from them by a rich hippie
commune who gave him some potent LSD. He was
never the same again, and he began to fixate about
Mac becoming a charity band and playing for no
money.

Nearly 40 years on, Peter insists that the big
change that took place at Munich was a musical one:
" I was down in the cellar of this country house
playing music with some other people. I had taken
LSD and was playing guitar with a wah-wah pedal...
it felt as though 1 was breaking through the blues
notation I'd been playing for years into something
new. The drummer was playing a rhythm which was
very different to any blues rhythm. The people I
stayed with gave me a tape of some of my playing
that day and I kept listening to it from time to time
afterwards. I wish I could hear it again today but I
accidently left it in America a few years later."
Facets of Munich's musical metamorphosis found
their way onto vinyl on Green's late 1970 solo
album for Reprise, End Of The Game which
comprised studio jamming with friends
such as bassist Alex Dmochowski and
keyboardists Zoot Money and Nick
Buck: "I spent a long time afterwards
trying to edit those sessions and I'm
not sure that I chose the best bits for
the finished album. I'd really like
to hear all the tapes we recorded again some day."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Wouldn't be the first time someone had a revelation and I can't help but think the LSD was a factor. I am not a proponent of drug abuse, but over the centuries many of our greatest artists/thinkers/movers/shakers seem to have achieved a breakthrough to another level of interpreting the world around them when experimenting with mind altering substances.

Some friends of Eric Clapton maintain that his best guitar playing ever was done in a room by himself high on heroin.

I'll stick with having a couple of cold beers or a glass or red wine when I listen to music.:D

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
LSD is a serious drug, some of my friends took "purple dragon" when they were in Hawaii and it scared the ***** out of them both. I have never taken it myself, I saw it's effects on my older brother and that was enough for me.

Peter Green was doing okay last time I saw him was at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony playing Black Magic Woman with Carlos Santana, last year I think it was.

In my younger days I tried Paper acid a few times.. But I did it with friend who had already tried some of the more serious stuff like Window Pane.. The stories they told me scared me of course and I didn't want to put myself through something that you would get the feeling that you would never come down or be the same ever again..
The feeling you would get would be just giddiness and you didn't see things morphing like the hard core acid of the 60's.
But the thing that sticks with you is the experience.. While you trip your mind perceives things in a different way..
You think different thoughts and notice things like never before..
You can get the same effects doing a good amount of mushrooms..
I never tried anything hard but have to say recently I tried some mushrooms again and at that point I knew I was starting to trip.. I started feeling my drum cymbals and thinking weird thoughts about how cold and dead they felt..
I rationized that they were once apart of mother earth as warm metal and then they died when man changed them into cymbals.. True story..
So I think what Peter was trying to recapture was his way of thinking and the amount of creation he experienced when he went deep into his trip..
It's the edge as they say.. your scared but yet open to what your feeling and living..
You miss it like a good friend when you come down.. Reality is a two dimensional world.. Under the influence you cross into another place where things seem more surreal.. A three dimensional world..:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online