People who don't like music?

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I have not met a person yet who didn't atleast enjoy music in some form. A lot of the folks around me are big country music fans. I am kind of the odd ball amongst my friends because I am a rocker and love metal.

I have got friends who are more addicted to their TV than music, and could care less about music.

It is hard for me to fathom that there are some people who don't like music, and I have not met anyone like that, yet. When you think about it, music is everywhere; commercials, movies, television, radio, elevators, doctors office, shopping centers..........

People who don't like music of some kind or another are very few and far between but I agree that some people seem to be more addicted to TV than music :wtf:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
they are in denial :) :wa

I've met a few people not into music actually don't relate to them much. I find them hollow but I guess life throws people in alot of different directions and values.

Peter Norway

Reaction score
No one doesn't like music. They're just not that into music. It's the same way with colors. No one dislikes colors, they just don't pay mind to it.

These people tend to be very practical minded. If male: more tuned to the visual, systematic, or mechanical. The problem...fix problem type. The mind's focus is on the immediate and tangible. I haven't met an engineer who could care less about music. If female: family, ordering life, social connections, (and complicated inner-workings I can't fathom).

Of this practical type, the female will keep music closer at hand. But still, musical interest will not be in depth or one of life's important aspects. Certainly nothing she feels the need to explore. But if she's reminded, then "yes, something in the background would be pleasant." And her heart does need to be touched or enlivened with certain songs from time to time.

When a male of this practical type is into music, it tends to be...and forgive me...somehow souless. Often calling for an architecturally complex music, which reflects the workings of his mind. Think 70s art rock, King Crimson, ELP, Rush ('dude their time-shifting is mind blowing!'), modern guitar wizards, King's X, Queensryche, etc.

It's generational too. Our parents and grandparents simply worked too hard to see music as something other than mere diversion or strictly entertainment. Still, when the time called for it, they loved them some Benny Goodman, Doris Day, Chubby Checker...soft Floyd.

One sure-fire way to tell you're dealing with a non-music person is when they have a social gathering or party. It's mind boggling, but they'll entertain WITHOUT music! To a musical person, this is very hard to wrap one's head around...much less to STAY at the party. Opening Christmas presents without Christmas music, doesn't feel like Christmas, it feels like a wake.

ANF

Reaction score
No one doesn't like music. They're just not that into music. It's the same way with colors. No one dislikes colors, they just don't pay mind to it.

My older brother really does look down on music and those who listen to it (he's into sports). I remember many years ago him saying "people who watch MTV are losers". Keep in mind, this was when MTV was actually still good. And he has gloated many times about how he's only bought two albums in his life... Steely Dan's "Aja" and Chicago's "Chicago IX: Greatest Hits" when he was a teen in the 1970's.

Peter Norway

Reaction score
Interesting fellow your brother. I suppose there are exceptions. I mean, "no one" likes killing puppies...but then some people do.

Ember

Reaction score
Don't trust 'em! :heheh:
I have met a few people who don't like music...not just "aren't that into it"...I mean they blatantly do not like it. They also aren't into other forms of art. Some people just don't get art in general and do not see any importance or usefulness in it. For these kinds of people I will reiterate my opening comment "Don't trust 'em!!!"

I was never really an avid collector or super fan but I love music and definitely have my favorites. I particularly turn to music during emotional times, good or bad, and since I'm such an emotional person that pretty much means always.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Totally agree with that Ember. The entire reason I'm so dependent on music comes from my childhood. Grew up an only child on mom's side and was at home most of the time alone while she worked. Music was my company. I can't go a day without it. There is a different genre for each mood. When I'm depressed I tend to listen to country music. Reminds me of simpler times. I've been doing that a lot this week. When I'm happy there's pop and rock. Classical to wind down. :grinthumb

I personally don't know anyone who flat out doesn't enjoy some form of music. Who are these people? :heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online