Who is the better band...

• Pearl Jam

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • Nirvana

Votes: 20 40.0%

• Total voters

Born to Lose

Reaction score
So there really never was a Pearl Jam vs Nirvana rivarly... right? But what people dont know is that Kurt Cobain endlessly trashed Pearl Jam and that Dave Abbruzzese almost punched Kurt Cobain once and had to be restrained. Even the good terms that were reached between Eddie and Kurt at the VMA's in '92, and between Krist and Dave and the members of Pearl Jam at Seattle's "Drop in the Park" benefit, became frayed in 1993 after Eddie Vedder was put on the cover of Time Magazine against his will, which Kurt took offense to. Most of the Seattle bands were good friends, with friendly rivalries, save for Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and maybe Nirvana and Alice in Chains. Pearl Jam and Nirvana are both great bands who changed the course of music, but if you had to choose...

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would easily choose Nirvana, I absolutely can't stand anything by Pearl Jam.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I'm a huge Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam fan, probably one of my top 10 bands, for me he's a quality song writer, as well as being some awesome vocalist. Been at the top of their game now for almost 25 years, and still sound as great as ever. I don't know much about Nirvana except they only made 3 albums, and if Cobain had lived I bet they would still be dining out on 'Teen Spirit' 20 years later, so no comparison, and I vote for PJ.

Born to Lose

Reaction score
Wow, the Pearl Jam hate :D

for me, I have to go with Pearl Jam. Nirvana's style varied a great deal between their three albums, but it's always recognizable as Nirvana. Post-mid-90's Pearl Jam is something so unique and so far removed from "grunge", not many bands can completely reinvent themselves and still sound good.

If you dislike PJ just for their first few albums... I suggest listening to No Code and Yield...

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@ Born To Lose
Nah I dislike PJ for their music in general, not just for a few songs I just have never been able to enjoy their music. Don't like the vocals or anything about them, that's just me though, more power to those that do but they are up there on my most disliked artists list.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Wow, the Pearl Jam hate :D

for me, I have to go with Pearl Jam. Nirvana's style varied a great deal between their three albums, but it's always recognizable as Nirvana. Post-mid-90's Pearl Jam is something so unique and so far removed from "grunge", not many bands can completely reinvent themselves and still sound good.

If you dislike PJ just for their first few albums... I suggest listening to No Code and Yield...

I know you say you like Springsteen BTL, well him and Eddie Vedder are great friends, and Eddie sang 'My City of Ruins' when Bruce got his Kennedy Center Award a couple of years ago, which is just about one of the most perfect things I think I ever heard, especially with that heavenly gospel choir, thought you may like to hear it...and don't be discouraged if people diss your favourites, it happens, music is very subjective, but it won't make you feel any differently about the things you love...I love eating lambs liver and kidneys, and almost every person I know tells me that it is totally disgusting, but no matter how often they say it, it doesn't make me love it any less!!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Two truly awful bands ... however, I'll take Pearl Jam over Nirvana any day of the week only because they had some decent music in some of their early recordings. Vedder is an awful "singer" (I use that term lightly):

Freeeeezan, mumble mumble mumble mumble mmmmumbbble .. made of concrete
Feelin' mumble mumble mumble mumble set a days

Dude always sounds like he has a hunk of dogshit in his mouth when he's 'singing'.

Ted hit it on the head with his comment (starting at the 1:35 mark) "you can do any 90's song with just vowels". SPOT ON!

Bottom line, as truly average as PJ is on their best day, they are/were still light years ahead of those no-talent hacks in Nirvana

JM2CW. If you like or love either band, woot for you. Neither one is my cup of poo.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online