Paul The Ornithologist

Blackbird or Bluebird

• Total voters

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I love both of them equally. They have different meanings, so it was hard to pick. Since Bluebird is getting beaten so badly and really has no political meaning, I guess I'll pick that one. :tongue:

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Bluebird. I've never understood the praise that Blackbird gets.

I had been doing poetry readings. I had been doing some in the last year or so because I've got a poetry book out called Blackbird Singing, and when I would read "Blackbird", I would always try and think of some explanation to tell the people, 'cause there's not a lot you can do except just read the poem, you know, you read 10 poems that takes about 10 minutes, almost. It's like, you've got to, just, do a bit more than that. So, I was doing explanations, and I actually just remembered why I'd written "Blackbird", you know, that I'd been, I was in Scotland playing on my guitar, and I remembered this whole idea of "you were only waiting for this moment to arise" was about, you know, the black people's struggle in the southern states, and I was using the symbolism of a blackbird. It's not really about a blackbird whose wings are broken, you know, it's a bit more symbolic.

— Paul McCartney, Interview with KCRW's Chris Douridas, May 25, 2002 episode of New Ground (17:50–19:00)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online