1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paul Simon

Discussion in 'Folk & Celtic' started by eberg15101, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder Senior Member

I did like Simon and Garfunkel when they were a team and loved Paul Simon's stuff.

Both very talented guys but for me its Paul Simon hands down, I didnt realise that he had been married to Carrie Fisher.

You learn something new everyday, dont you? :D

ps. I lurrrvvee 50 ways to leave your lover, very upbeat :D That song will sustain me for the afternoon now I think, cant remember word for word. I can remember a Jack and a Joe in the lyrics though lol.

Lunch Time - I can goole lyrics lol :D

2. LG

LG Fade To Black

They were doomed to fail Flower, Carrie was a cocaine addict and I am not sure but I think Paul was doing drugs as well. She pretty much ruined her career for a long time due to her addiction, but she has been popping up in movies and television again the last few years.

Love Paul Simon, I think Graceland is head and shoulders his best solo work, but I prefer Paul and Art when they are together, that was just magic.

3. jeffrey

jeffrey Alive & Well & Living In

Second to the right then straight on till morning
    There's one Paul Simon song which often gets overlooked when discussing his portfolio of work and that's "Duncan". I love songs with a story line, that are well written and seem to flow without effort, and seem somehow natural.

I agree with other posters that Paul and Art are at their best together but in the era of Graceland, Rhymin' Simon etc. he was out there with the very best.

4. R. Evans

R. Evans Left Of Center

^^
    You beat me to it.:grinthumb Duncan is a great song.

5. jeffrey

jeffrey Alive & Well & Living In

Second to the right then straight on till morning
    I aquired this Canadian copy of the single in a "cheapie" shop here in the UK many years ago. Think it cost me all of 20pence.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. iasc

iasc Member

I really love Paul Simon. He's a great songwriter and Simon and Garfunkel are one of my favourite folk groups ever.

I'm less familiar with his solo stuff but what I've heard is as good as if not better than his S&G material.
    I think Mother And Child Reunion is one of his best songs.
    Duncan is a really great song too and that looks like a great find jeffrey.

7. TheHealer

TheHealer Senior Member

8. Sweaty

Sweaty ThE OtHeR rAmOnE

I am loving his solo work, prefer them as a duo but here are a couple of my faves, real vibes man :)

well 3 actually (just for starters) :)

9. annie

annie metal maniac

10. LG

LG Fade To Black

I like Paul Simon more than Dylan, Mitchell or Cohen myself. That was an interesting article, and Sox has mentioned to me more than once when he goes to a concert in his part of the world, the crowds are his contemporaries with few young people in attendance whether it's Saxon or a folk artist.

I can't speak to the future legacy, but I do feel his work with Simon and Garfunkel and my 3 favorite solo albums of his are equal to any of his contemporaries work and worth remembering for future generations.