Paul McCartney: Classical?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
WorkingClassicalCover.jpg

Yeah well why not...could we not consider one from the 20th century be of classical mind?? We all know that Macca has merged rock and classical together many times throughout the Beatles' career , he also wrote his own classical music..starting with the Liverpool Oratorio back in 1991 which he wrote to celebrate The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra's 150th anniversary!!!

Since then Sir Paul has went on to Score Standing Stone in 1997(which was his final musical release before Linda's death) and Ecce Cor Meum in 2006 which was more than 8 years in the making.

Of course there is the Working Classical CD from 1999 which is a collection of his own commercial works performed in a classical light, and includes his short piece for piano "A Leaf" from 1995 as well as Tuesday, which would be the music for Paul's animated film of the same.

So let's sit back and enjoy a bit of classical Paul!!!

51GIj-XWRlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

083e619009a02ae923df7110.L._AA300_.jpg

98ec62e89da0d101da754110.L._AA300_.jpg

Copy-of-Paul-McCar_1969367c.jpg

Cartney+Attends+Performance+Classical+xiRT9LKP6-ul.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late MP...I've never really checked into Paul's classical bits and pieces. I remember the Oratorio when it came out creating a stir but I am not a big "Lieder" fan myself so I passed on it.

Not being a snob but I have so many classical composers in the library I just never considered Paul seriously in this genre.

I'll see if I can get hold of "Standing Stone" and give it a fair listen.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
....eh...this thread is mainly for entertainment purposes. Not trying to rank him in with the GREATS of the past.

But pretty cool that he still has a love for classical music.

Now a ballet side with OCEAN'S KINGDOM

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Never thought you were MP, Macca is just fulfilling his creative urges.;)

One of the smartest things the English ever did in their history was make music a mandatory course in schools. Not sure if that's still the case but when you listen to the old bands that came out in the 60's and 70's the influence of classical music is unmistakable.

All because they were feeling left out by the continent producing great composer after composer and they weren't. I'd say they addressed that imbalance perfectly.:mn:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
I think alot of people consider Lennon and McCartney this century's 'great composers' ..I mean of COURSE they are not in the ranks of Beethoven ,,Chopin...Mozart..yet :D

But in time I am sure kids will study the works of Lennon and McCartney as legit musical genius' as the classical music influences of many other generations.

I KNOW that my nephews mentioned they are studying a entire section of Music Theory with The Beatles music in Highschool !

Anyway , That's some interesting music Metal..I remember when Liverpool Oratorio came out..it was on PBS here and I had to work so my x recorded it ..he complained it was boring lol ? But you had know him ..

I on the otherhand , loved it..it not the usual stuff /his 'pop' music style but I like him exploring more types of music..it's healthy ..and he always is a perfectionist , so thats a strength with this music..good for Macca !

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I really love the Oratorio

Here's a beautiful section sung by the great Kiri Te Kanawa

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online