Paul Butterfield Blues Band!

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band played a major role in inculcating a whole generation of white suburban baby boomers with an appreciation for the blues in the mid-sixties.The initial nucleus of the band was created when guitar phenomenon Mike Bloomfield joined harmonica player Paul Butterfield and his college buddy guitarist Elvin Bishop in the recording studio.

Paul Butterfield Blues Band Biography from Barnes and Noble

Recordings such as these gained the attention of young music fans across the continent. Note Butterfield's fabulous blues harp on these tracks:

The key albums by the band are the first two:

72e781b0c8a0b384190b8110.L.jpg 11efc0a398a00d41ec00b110.L.jpg

Mike Bloomfield left the Paul Butterfield Blues Band after these two albums. A brass section was added to replace him but the band was never as good in my opinion.

Interesting though is that the blues became college white boys music by the seventies as young blacks abandoned the blues and embraced funk in its place.

:guitar:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice thread Fox, not a big blues fan, but if I see these two albums in my travels I'll pick them up.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I second that notion, Outstanding blues band. Paul Butterfield can make the Harmonica talk!! I also have a great respect and liking for Elvin Bishop.

Check out Paul Butterfield playing the harmonica! If I am not mistaken this video is of a live show in 1985.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I now have a copy of his self titled album in HQ of course, and will put it on my playlist.:D

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
The first two albums by the Paul Butterfield Blues band are combined in this CD:

51ea810ae7a0bd737c00b110.L.jpg

This double LP is also well worth getting if you can find one anywhere:

84528.jpg

:rock:

Last edited:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Paul Butterfield Blues Band, especially first two albums;''The Paul Butterfield Blues Band'' (1965) and ''East-West'' (1966)

Groundbreaking albums in the blues-rock genre.

This thread would be a miss without mentioning of the amazing psychedlic blues-jazz rock instrumental ''East-West'' which features Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop on guitars.

Click Here to listen to ''East-West''

mq2z8.jpg

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
"Get out of My Life Woman" is one of my favourites by the Butterfield Blues Band but I can find only this muddy version:

This is the band's definitive anthology album but to my knowlege it was never released on CD:

Attachments

• A Butterfield.jpg
    A Butterfield.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 49

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online