Review Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz (1980)

album review

Rocker440

Reaction score
Re: Ozzy Osbourne ~ Blizzard of Ozz (1980)

Very interesting review and nicely done, Magic! :tup:

I also feel it is both a shame that Ozzy, or his associates, both chose to rerecord both of the original bass and drum parts of Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake. Those two are both extremely talented, skillful and solid musicians. They have been excellent performers for many years. Whether to 'enhance' the songs for the remastered reissues of Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman or to also possibly create a fairly strange way to prevent further payments for the songs that one or both of them were involved with writing, it is both pretty tacky, cheesy and low, imo.

There are other versions of many of the Daisley/Kerslake co-written songs on the Living Loud - s/t release.
51SCHRP39QL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It also features Steve Morse and Don Airey as well. A nice combination of original songs, along with the 'alternate' songs, too! :tup:

Although I believe Lee Kerslake has taken some time away from touring for health reasons for the past few years. I am a long time fan of both of these great musicians! And I do enjoy Ozzy as well, at certain times! :lmao:

rtbuck

Reaction score

Great Review Magic!!

I really love the first 3 OZZY albums. Back when this album first came out I had 4th row center tickets for OZZY, Motorhead, & another great band but I can't remember who but my Mom wouldn't let me go because there was a Blizzard!! I was a little Pissed at the time but I was still in High School & my Dad had just passed away about a month earlier so I understood my mom being scared

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Very interesting review and nicely done, Magic! :tup:

I also feel it is both a shame that Ozzy, or his associates, both chose to rerecord both of the original bass and drum parts of Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake. Those two are both extremely talented, skillful and solid musicians. They have been excellent performers for many years. Whether to 'enhance' the songs for the remastered reissues of Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman or to also possibly create a fairly strange way to prevent further payments for the songs that one or both of them were involved with writing, it is both pretty tacky, cheesy and low, imo.

There are other versions of many of the Daisley/Kerslake co-written songs on the Living Loud - s/t release.
51SCHRP39QL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It also features Steve Morse and Don Airey as well. A nice combination of original songs, along with the 'alternate' songs, too! :tup:

Although I believe Lee Kerslake has taken some time away from touring for health reasons for the past few years. I am a long time fan of both of these great musicians! And I do enjoy Ozzy as well, at certain times! :lmao:

Ozzy had, and still has, such an "off" singing style. Daisley/Kerslake as rhythm section worked nicely with Ozzy's off style. I have no clue why Ozzy would upset this perfect chemistry he had with the band, but I side with Daisley/Kerslake in the issue. They were not only terrific songwriters, but outstanding musicians......Ozzy had the best of both worlds and blew it. After the dissolve of the group, IMHO, Ozzy's solo stuff took a deep nose dive.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

I could be wrong as I haven't listened to those God-awful "remasters" in years, but from what I remember, it wasn't just the rhythm stuff that got re-recorded. I'm pretty sure they redid Randy's parts as well. In fact, I think they did it with two guitarists rather than just one.

Check out Essential Ozzy if you have and and let me know if I'm wrong. I think mine is used as a coaster out in the garage now. That album pissed me off so much!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I think you are right, Lynch. Randy was deceased, so they had to replace him too.

Rocker440

Reaction score

Ok, I've listened to the different versions of both Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madmen that I have in my collection. Imo, Randy Rhoads is the guitarist on all three editions that I have, of the these three, two are remastered editions.
I also believe that the rhythm duo of Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake is on one of the remastered editions, too. Randy Rhoads is listed as the guitar player on all three editions.

I believe the original CD's were released in 1981. The remastered editions that I have were released in 1995 (imo, this edition does have the original performers of Osbourne, Rhoads, Daisley and Kerslake) and another Japan remastered edition from 2002 that has different rerecorded bass and drum parts (band members: Ozzy Osbourne: Vocals; Randy Rhoads: Guitars; Robert Trujillo: Bass; Mike Bordin: Drums). Somewhat interestingly, the credits on this edition do not mention Don Airey at all. I'm pretty sure he both recorded the keyboards for both Blizzard and Diary, as well as toured with the band, too.

Man, this story has more twists than an episode of 'Lost.' ;)

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

Rhoads' guitar was not replaced on the remasters, only the drums and bass. The original vocal and guitar tracks were retained. But since the rhythm section is usually recorded first, with lead guitars and vocals layered on later, replacing the rhythm section in the mix is going to effect the whole sound of the record.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

I believe the original CD's were released in 1981. The remastered editions that I have were released in 1995 (imo, this edition does have the original performers of Osbourne, Rhoads, Daisley and Kerslake) and another Japan remastered edition from 2002 that has different rerecorded bass and drum parts (band members: Ozzy Osbourne: Vocals; Randy Rhoads: Guitars; Robert Trujillo: Bass; Mike Bordin: Drums). Somewhat interestingly, the credits on this edition do not mention Don Airey at all. I'm pretty sure he both recorded the keyboards for both Blizzard and Diary, as well as toured with the band, too.

Man, this story has more twists than an episode of 'Lost.' ;)

The reissues with the rhythm section replaced came out in 2002. All digital versions available on I-Tunes or Amazon or other legal outlets all contain the rerecorded rhythm section, so a lot of young fans have never heard the original version.

I think this was 100% Sharon. It reflects her take no prisoners style of management. Financially, it only hurt Kerslake, as Bob Daisly still gets songwriting royalties (he wrote most of the lyrics).

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Rhoads' guitar was not replaced on the remasters, only the drums and bass. The original vocal and guitar tracks were retained. But since the rhythm section is usually recorded first, with lead guitars and vocals layered on later, replacing the rhythm section in the mix is going to effect the whole sound of the record.

My recording ignorance is showing. It never occurred to me that they used the old recordings of vocal and guitar and just re-recorded the rhythm sections. :bonk:

Rocker440

Reaction score

The reissues with the rhythm section replaced came out in 2002. All digital versions available on I-Tunes or Amazon or other legal outlets all contain the rerecorded rhythm section, so a lot of young fans have never heard the original version.

I think this was 100% Sharon. It reflects her take no prisoners style of management. Financially, it only hurt Kerslake, as Bob Daisly still gets songwriting royalties (he wrote most of the lyrics).

Jeez, to do that mostly to eliminate Kerslake, Daisley or anyone from being paid their rightly due royalties is extremely crappy, whether Ozzy or someone else has a personal beef with them, imo. They were both instrumental (no pun intended) to both the excellent songwriting as well as the solid, exemplary music of both of those releases, imo! Don Airey's keyboards were also both nicely done as well as beneficial to many songs, i.e., the intro to Mr. Crowley.

I wouldn't buy any version, whether on I-Tunes nor CD that did not have Randy Rhoads guitar playing on there! :cheers:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online