Original Kansas Lineup Set to Reunite

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
kansas-band.jpg

SOURCE LINK

In 2013 Kansas will be chalking up a major milestone when they celebrate four decades as a band. In honor of the special event, the band has unveiled their 40th Anniversary Celebration and Fan Appreciation Concert scheduled for Aug. 17 at the Benedum Center for the Performing Arts in Pittsburgh, Pa.

The show has a lot of surprises in store, starting with several guest appearances throughout the evening that include original members Dave Hope, Kerry Livgren, and Robby Steinhardt. This will commemorate the first time all the original members of the band shared a stage in more than 30 years.

In addition to bringing back past members of the band, the show will start off with Kansas being complemented by a 35-piece symphony orchestra. At intermission, which the band promises a few more top secret surprises, Kansas will say goodbye to the orchestra and return to the stage for a rocking set of their classics and hits to close out the evening.

Holding the show in Pittsburgh was all part of the master plan. Kansas drummer Phil Ehart explains the importance the city holds, saying, “People need to know that Pittsburgh, and the whole state of Pennsylvania, discovered the band Kansas first!” He continued, “We came here in the early days and Pittsburgh was like our home away from home!”

Ticketing info has not yet been announced but there will be a variety of options from regularly priced tickets to VIP and premium packages for the special event. Visit the official Kansas website for all the latest details.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've been listening to all my old vinyl Kansas albums recently, reaffirming what a great band they were right up to Audiovisions. After that I didn't follow them as the band line-up changed.

Not sure it is a proper reunion, that would include Kerry, Dave and Robbie full time not just making a cameo appearance on a few songs.:think:

Phil Ehart is one of my favorite drummers of all time, and he looks really good in that photo.

I wish them well, although I guarantee they won't be touring up here.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
One of the more welcome reunions for me, such a great GREAT band, I agree LG ^^^ about their early albums, Point of Know Return, Leftoverture, and Monolith was one of the great 1-2-3 punches of 70's soft-prog-rock albums.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
^ For me the best three are Masque, Leftoverture & Point of Know Return.

Nothing against Monolith which was great too, as were all their albums.

I heard Robbie's last departure was a little acrimonious, glad to see they can still work together, even for a little while. His vocals are sorely missed when he's not there.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I have lost track of Kansas completely over the years. I do know Kerry left and Dave Hope went with him years ago. Although I always considered Kansas a very strong band, to me Kerry Livgren was the creative genius and I couldn't picture them without him in the band.

Kerry was sick not too long ago, so if he's able to tour with his old friends that's a good sign.:D

runtfan

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately this headline is misleading. There's not gonna be any reunion tour or album - strictly guest appearances for a few songs on one given evening - not really big news unless you have tickets for that particular show.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That was my take as well, more of a "one of" event than a reunion tour. I might check out the DVD of the concert, if they do release one.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
^^I have lost track of Kansas completely over the years. I do know Kerry left and Dave Hope went with him years ago. Although I always considered Kansas a very strong band, to me Kerry Livgren was the creative genius and I couldn't picture them without him in the band.

Kerry was sick not too long ago, so if he's able to tour with his old friends that's a good sign.:D

He had a fairly serious stroke a little over 3 years ago. He's made an amazing recovery and even re-reunited Proto-Kaw for another album since.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
He had a fairly serious stroke a little over 3 years ago. He's made an amazing recovery and even re-reunited Proto-Kaw for another album since.

Thanks Ar-Pharazon, I am glad he's recovered. Don't know anything about Proto-Kaw though...:dunno:

I only have "Seeds of Change" as far as his solo material outside Kansas goes.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Proto-Kaw is basically the Kansas II lineup, with only Kerry from the Kansas III version we know so well.

Kerry put that lineup back together in 2002, with most of the original members. They've put out four albums to date including a collection of demos from their early days.

I own the first AD album Timeline as well as Seeds Of Change and one called When Things Get Electric.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online