Opeth (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Opeth

I listened to the whole album months ago and it is good, but my favorite is Damnation. This is the most mellow album Opeth has done by far, many of their early fans don't like it while many other latecomers like myself enjoy it, and because I liked Damnation I played some of their other CD's, like Watershed. Rob if you do Meshuggah next I won't be posting in That thread...:heheh:

Neverlife

Reaction score

Hah, this is as close to Death Metal as I ever get :D. Minus my CD of random death metal bands I put on when I cruise the town, because I like to keep my '****ed up person' reputation in check. Nothing like blaring some Dimmu Borgir (although I'm starting to like them >.<) Cattle Decapitation, and Devil Driver (I know, all crap examples but its all I got) to make people double check this skinny hippie dude. :D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Alright Neverlife thanks for the clips. I will look more into Watershed. I've heard many rave about this one. Damnation looks pretty cool too. I like chillin at times so mellow is good. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Wow! I in no way expected to like this because I had a preconceived notion that the screaming vocals wouldn't suit my taste. Actually, for a while, I always had this name mixed up with that Otep chick. :lmao:

I listened to the first two songs in the thread and I was shocked to not hear any screaming. I liked it. In the second, the screaming was there but it had enough melodies and changes in the song to balance out. I'm not saying it's the same sound but I relate my listening experience with this band to the one I had with From Autumn to Ashes! The vocals are really ugly at times but the way they are placed in the song it would destroy the song to take them out. Anyway, pleasant surprise! :grinthumb

Neverlife

Reaction score

Wow! I in no way expected to like this because I had a preconceived notion that the screaming vocals wouldn't suit my taste. Actually, for a while, I always had this name mixed up with that Otep chick. :lmao:

I listened to the first two songs in the thread and I was shocked to not hear any screaming. I liked it. In the second, the screaming was there but it had enough melodies and changes in the song to balance out. I'm not saying it's the same sound but I relate my listening experience with this band to the one I had with From Autumn to Ashes! The vocals are really ugly at times but the way they are placed in the song it would destroy the song to take them out. Anyway, pleasant surprise! :grinthumb

Hah, I watched their live DVD 'Lamentations' and it really shows off how different they are. The first half of the DVD is them playing their entire Damnation album, so its a very mellow half. And the second half they play songs from Deliverance and Blackwater Park, which have their heavier songs. It also has a documentary of them talking about their Deliverance, and Damnation albums, since they were recorded at the same time.

Its a great DVD and if you have the chance, I would recommend anyone to watch it, even if you only watch the first half :D

F

FoxyPage

haha, I think that is the problem with most people and this genre. People like to think it's all full of really angry, heavy growls/screaming but there are a lot of bands out there who don't use as much heavy growling and screaming.

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score

I couldn't stand through a set of theirs live again, but it was a beautiful performance that left me in awe from start to finish. They have the perfect balance between heavy and melodic.

rockgoddess1968

Reaction score

Watershed is one of my favourite albums at the moment, along with Blackwater Park

crackedactor1963

Master of Puppets !
Reaction score

I think Opeth can be whatever you want them to be i just find the music something else.Luckily for me i've seen them too at the Shepherds Bush Empire in 2007 or was it 2008....lol
opeth-bass.gif

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online