Omega (Official Thread)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
logo.jpg

Omega Official Website
Omega on Wikipedia

Omega is one of the most successful Hungarian rock bands.

Formed in Budapest, Hungary in September, 1962 by the winds player László Benkő on organ and János Kóbor as a singer and rhythm guitarist, they initially performed covers of British and American rock songs, with frequently changing the lineup of members. In 1967 Tamás Mihály came on bass, Gábor Presser joined on keyboards and began writing original music for the band (in 1968 György Molnár became a lead guitarist), releasing three LPs before leaving the band with József Laux, a drummer from 1962, to form Locomotív GT. These first albums were heavily influenced by the music of The Beatles, but they also looked forward to the band’s future more progressive, space-rock style. After Presser and Laux’s departure, the band found a new drummer (Ferenc Debreceni came from group Neoton) and pointed Benkő as the main keyboardsman, creating the current lineup, which has remained the same for over 30 years:

* János Kóbor (“Mecky”), lead vocals
* György Molnár (“Elefánt”), guitars
* László Benkő (“Laci”), keyboards, vocals
* Tamás Mihály (“Misi”), bass, vocals
* Ferenc Debreceni (“Ciki”), drums

This lineup of Omega released ten more albums from 1972 to 1987. Many of these were released both in Hungarian and in English, in the hopes of generating wider interest in their music. However, the contents of the English albums often differed from their Hungarian counterparts, sometimes assembling tracks from several different albums and nearly always changing the song order. Following a few years of inactivity, the band reunited in 1994, with former member Gábor Presser joining them at concerts and contributing several tracks to 1995’s Trans And Dance.

Albums:

(English Albums)
Omega Red Star From Hungary (1968)
Omega (1973)
200 Years After The Last War (1974)
Omega III (1974)
The Hall Of Floaters In The Sky (1975)
Time Robber (1976)
Skyrover (1978)
Gammapolis (1979)
Working (1981)
Transcendent (1996)

Omega has achieved modest international success through releases in multiple languages, and tours in England and Germany in the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s. Their 1969 song “Gyöngyhajú lány” became an international hit, and was later covered by Scorpions on a 1995 live release, with new lyrics and the title “White Dove” (the Hungarian title officially was translated as “Pearls In Her Hair”).

Omega.jpg

MP edit: Video removed from youtube

Last edited by a moderator:

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Re: Omega

Also English version

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Hey I have one of their albums....but haven't listened to it yet.

I'll be back after I play it.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

English language albums
Omega Red Star From Hungary (1968) extremely rare vinyl recording, since October 2007 available on CD. Vocals by Mihály Tamás
Omega (1973)
200 Years After The Last War (1974)
Omega III (1974)
The Hall Of Floaters In The Sky (1975)
Time Robber (1976)
Sky Rover (1978)
Gammapolis (1979)
Working (1981)
Transcendent (1996)

Which one would be the best to start with?

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

200 Years After The Last War. Then The Hall Of Floaters In The Sky and Sky Rover.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Thank You! I will obtain them, give them a couple listens, then report what I think :)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Nololob, I have gotten all 3 albums.

I have given 200 Years After the Last War a couple spins now, and I am impressed. This band was a bit ahead of it's time for the 70's, IMHO.

I would have to say my favorite pieces off this album would have to be Suite 1 & 2.

Suite Part 1

Suite Part 2

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

Suite is one piece of 6 (or 7) songs of originally released Hungarian version.

This band was a bit ahead of it's time for the 70's, IMHO.
For a band from Eastern bloc, where censorship was very popular they were waaay ahead. Glad you liked it. :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Suite is one piece of 6 (or 7) songs of originally released Hungarian version.

I have to say they did a fantastic job with the English versions. I think I would get bored with 7 extended versions, though.

The title song off the album is really funky, with country/folk music undertones.....I like it, but not as much as the Suite.

200 Years After the Last War

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Look what I found......A Scorpions cover of an Omega song "Gyöngyhajú lány" but they titled it "White Dove" while the Hungarian translation is 'pearls in her hair'.

MP edit: Video removed from youtube

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online