Oingo Boingo

Otto

racing fool
Reaction score

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
I enjoy Oingo Boingo's greatest hits cd..."Just Another Day" & "Dead Man's Party" come to mind.

I knew some of those guys when they were 1st coming together in the late '70s. I sold & traded gear with Kerry Hatch, who was a great bass player...& another friend of mine played keys in Bartek's side group.

Later in the '80s, I sold recording gear to Elfman, who obviously became quite successful as a respected composer for film.

About the time Oingo Boingo got popular on KROQ radio was when music split into polarized camps. The Metal crowd hated the New Wave crowd, especially in LA, & sadly that polarity in musical tastes continues today.

Having grown up hearing diverse styles @ the Fillmore in the late '60s, I always had a wider ranging taste, & could appreciate Oingo Boingo just as much as many Troubadour Metal bands like RATT or Great White (or Dante Fox as they were called then).

But these days most music fans seem to be firmly in 1 camp or the other. At a lot of music forums, you can't appreciate U2 (or Oingo Boingo) if you're a fan of Motley Crue. :wa:

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I had high hopes for Boingo and, sad to say, I don't think they ever lived up to them. sure, they had the money, the fame, the fortune, the drugs, the groupies but old martha's high expectations they didn't get around to.

they were sure a muscular outfit. tight as Tom Jones pants. I just never really thought they did a whole album of really good songs - not in my fickle opinion. "Dead Man's Party" might have come close enough and maybe I just rate it because the band percolates along SO nicely on that one. I liked the jumpy new wave side of the block they were working but as punchy as they were I sort of regard them as "could of wasses" could of what? I'm not sure.
They'll always have "Weird Science" I suppose and I'm sure, like the Cramps, anytime they decide to play live that the faithful will come out of the woodwork.
maybe I like the EP with the fuzzy cat the best. they did have a hell of a sound - those tight little horn bits and stuff.

KISSFREAK

Reaction score
OOPS that's what I meant
crazyeyes.gif

J.L.

Reaction score
I've actaully been hearing a lot about these guys lately for some reason?

They did a few soundtrack i think

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I've actaully been hearing a lot about these guys lately for some reason?

They did a few soundtrack i think

Don't know about the band but Danny Elfman has done some great soundtracks. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online

No members online now.