Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
sodom.jpg
Official Website

Formed - 1981
Genre - Black Metal, Thrash Metal

Band Members
Tom Angelripper (Thomas Such, Onkel Tom) - vocals, bass (Desperados) (1981–present)
Bernd "Bernemann" Kost - guitar (ex-Crows) (1996–present)
Markus "Makka" Freiwald - drums (2010–present)

Discography
Obsessed by Cruelty (1986)
Persecution Mania (1987)
Agent Orange (1989)
Better Off Dead (1990)
Tapping the Vein (1992)
Get What You Deserve (1994)
Masquerade in Blood (1995)
'Til Death Do Us Unite (1997)
Code Red (1999)
M-16 (2001)
Sodom (2006)
The Final Sign of Evil (2007)
In War and Pieces (2010)
Epitome of Torture (2013)
Decision Day (2016)

Some Songs
Agent Orange

After The Deluge

Hanging Judge

Waterboarding

Can't believe we don't have a thread for Sodom. These guys play a great thrash metal sound that shouldn't be surprising when it comes to German bands but in their early days they did have a sound that could be seen as early black metal much like Venom was doing. Eventually they would divert into the current thrash metal style you hear today. Got plenty of albums in their discography and a lot I still need to get myself. Would also recommend listening to their new album Epitome of Torture.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've got one or two of their albums...can't remember the names right now.

I for one was glad they went to thrash instead of sticking with black metal, although I don't really listen to a lot of thrash metal these days.

DKW was really surprised I knew who Sodom was...:heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After all the thrash they have been doing I'd like a return to their original black metal sound but with modern quality production. (yeah black metal fans won't like that, they hate good production)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It's the same with a lot of thrash metal fans, one reason they hated "The Black Album" was because it sounded so good...I'll never understand that the better quality the recording, the more I like it. You can always "skinny it down" using your own gear anyway, but the alternative is not always the case, a crappy recording you are stuck with it period.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
I love sodom destruction kreator and the like german thrash is the salt of the earth.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^It's the same with a lot of thrash metal fans, one reason they hated "The Black Album" was because it sounded so good...I'll never understand that the better quality the recording, the more I like it. You can always "skinny it down" using your own gear anyway, but the alternative is not always the case, a crappy recording you are stuck with it period.

I understand both sides of the spectrum. Some albums are better because they weren't over produced but good production at the same time can enhance the experience.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not talking about overproduced, I'm talking about the difference between sticking a microphone in a garage while the band plays, and a real studio with someone who knows how to get the proper sound. Thrash fans all want that "raw primordial" sound, or many of them anyway and anything that polishes or enhances the experience they want no part of.

That is one reason garage rock/thrash are not my favorite genres even Metallica's first albums sound poor, and if I could get them to the same production level as the Black Album I would take it in a heartbeat.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand hating an album either for the production even if it is raw. Sometimes raw gives the album character and it applies nicely to old school thrash, death and black metal albums. It would be easy to give them the Black album touch but I would really only prefer that for modern albums. Could try to remaster them I guess but that would only be if that would actually enhance the original recordings as opposed to what Megadeth did and re do the vocal tracks and drum tracks.

The production of Testament's recent album is what I think thrash bands need to utilise.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On the band at hand Sodom I have got a few of their albums and like how the band did a variety of different genres from black metal early on to the thrash unit today. Many Black Metal bands will cite Sodom as a major influence just like many will for Venom.

In The Sign of Evil/Obsessed With Cruelty is a great album. Great early black metal stuff.

Agent Orange is a classic in my opinion of their thrash stuff.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New album Decision Day out August 26.
13412999_1111458468893026_8755456710985147622_n.jpg

"Decision Day" track listing
01. In Retribution (06:14)
02. Rolling Thunder (04:22)
03. Decision Day (04:03)
04. Caligula (04:01)
05. Who Is God? (04:35)
06. Strange Lost World (04:59)
07. Vaginal Born Evil (05:15)
08. Belligerence (04:00)
09. Blood Lions (03:17)
10. Sacred Warpath (05:34)
11. Refused To Die (04:27)
12. Predatory Instinct (04:44) (bonus track for vinyl and iTunes edition)

This is turning out a great year for thrash.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online