Re: Proto - Metal

Hailing from the Missouri / Kansas area w/ only one release to their name. Via
1970's You Won't Remember Dying.....

BULBOUS CREATION :

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

From the satanic spawning grounds of 1972 Idaho,w/ their epic opus "Witch Burning " :D

SALEM MASS :

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score

Great stuff DKW,

Being an avid vinyl collector at one time, seeking out these obscure bands wasn't easy and sometimes if you did find a copy, very expensive. Of course with the internet I've been able to find practically all of it and more.
The three bands you listed above were such. Very hard to find and pricey.
These dirty-toe Texans released two Lp's: Dead Man(1970) and Josefus(1971) in the heyday but did reform a couple of times to release albums. Southern heavy psych/blues.

thier second:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I just bought WOTW & Icecross , last night. They are re-issue CDs
though, but I can't wait to get them . I have some of these bands from my Uncle Ken's vinyl collection that was passed on to me , he loved this stuff, I also got a lot of great obscure 70's progressive ( he was instrumental in my musical journey at a young age ) and some I have picked up over the years on the internet on vinyl and or CD.

BTW ,Horse is awesome just bought the vinyl for twenty dollars @ Ebay a couple hours ago ,on a German label .It was going for way too much otherwise :D

A UK band managed by the mighty Tony Iommi , their recordings were selved until their stuff was finally released ,first limitedly on vinyl in 1990. Their music has since been re-released on CD.

NECROMANDUS :

Last edited:

noodlez

Reaction score

Buffalo - Volcanic Rock
Yesterday's Children - s/t album
Stray - s/t album
Jericho - s/t album

joe

Reaction score

^ Back in the early/mid 80's some of the major record labels sold the licenses of a lot of rare/obscure artists from the late 60's-early 70's to smaller independent labels, especially in the UK, Japan, and Germany and re-issued them on vinyl. This was of course before CD's really caught on. Later when CD's came on mainstream some of the major labels did issue CD's, not many though, and also an artist could of been released in the UK, but not here in NA. Once again it was those indy labels that released most of the rare/obscure gems.

I'm going to go a little bit off tangent here from doom to prog.
T2-I'll All work Out in Boomland(1970)- Prog/hard rock/heavy psych
This is fantastic:

Andromeda's only release(1969) featuring guitarist/vocalist John DuCann. He joined Atomic Rooster for Death Walks Behind You(1971), then left to form his own band Hard Stuff. Sounds somewhat out dated.

Reaction score

Thx LG

One of the heaviest proto bands I have come across ..from 1971, reportedly coming out of Long Island,New York........their one & only release "Suddenly "

SUDDEN DEATH :

Some people call this noise ...I call it psychedelic proto-doom :heybaby:

Reminds me of the Misfits a bit..
One band, that I'm surprised haven't been mentioned as they even achieved commercial success... especially with LG in the thread, I'm very surprised they haven't been brought up:D

BTO - She's a Devil

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

^^ There is a reason for that actually. We are talking about obscure/ semi obscure underground HEAVY proto-metal .

BTO are not really a good fit. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online