Obscure Gems From The "Classic" Prog/Rock Era

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
stud-september-lp-fc.jpg

STUD is a UK progressive rock band that formed in 1970 and features ex-members of Taste . They have 4 releases :
1971 Stud
1972 September
1973 Goodbye - Live at Command
2009 The SWF Session 1972
The self titled debut is by far my favorite of the studio releases but there are some good tunes on the sophomore release, September ,as well .It is however for the most part too toned down and mellow for my taste in progressive rock as it takes on a folkier element on many of the songs. It has an awesome cover though so I guess it gets some points for that haha
The live albums are both very good and worth owning if you like this style of music.

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
stud-september-lp-fc.jpg

STUD is a UK progressive rock band that formed in 1970 and features ex-members of Taste . They have 4 releases :
1971 Stud
1972 September
1973 Goodbye - Live at Command
2009 The SWF Session 1972
The self titled debut is by far my favorite of the studio releases but there are some good tunes on the sophomore release, September ,as well .It is however for the most part too toned down and mellow for my taste in progressive rock as it takes on a folkier element on many of the songs. It has an awesome cover though so I guess it gets some points for that haha
The live albums are both very good and worth owning if you like this style of music.

Wolf, I missed this post as I haven't been here for a long time. From what I heard I have to agree with you that I also like the first track better. More of a heavy jazz-fusion jam.

joe

Reaction score
Polish version of ELP - SBB

The first two tracks sound more of a jazz-fusion similar to Return To Forever and early Mahavishnu Orchestra and little of KC. Good stuff.

There's a few ELP clones out there like Trace and Trimvirat to mention a couple. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Poland had some prog talent back then as in recent times the country has produced some very fine prog artists like Riverside.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Here is a very strange underground Japanese band called Love, Live, Life
from the early/ mid 70's .They released two albums but Satsujin Jissho is the only one I have heard thus far. Trippy, prog album that goes everywhere in terms of influences ,jazzy, proggy and heavy psych guitar solos though out makes this an interesting discovery for me.

joe

Reaction score
Nololob: trippy spacey stuff. The vocalist reminded me of Eric Burdon from the Animals.

Wolf: never heard of them. You're right, they're all over the map. Good stuff.

I have a whack more stuff to post in here and will do so but I'm going to finish off a couple of my threads first as I don't want to be all over the place and too much stuff going on. I'm too lazy to multi-task.:D

joe

Reaction score
There has been controversy swirling about this album for years, Orion Awakes by Golem suppossedly released in 1973 with only a few copies handed out at art shows in Germany but some critics claim that this was recorded in the mid '90's to capture on the resurgence of krautrock. Maybe recorded during the late '70's? Anyway the controversy has never settled. One can come up with thier own assumption. Free form, experimental, all instrumental space/krautrock in vien of Floyd, Gila, Guru Guru, NEU!, and some Hendrix guitar pyrotechnics of fuzz, wah-wah, and feedback. No matter when it was recorded, it's very well done.

golemt.jpg

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Don't listen to critics, most of them says shit. :heheh:

I really like this krautrock, Jupitar & Beyond is the best so far.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online