Oasis (Official Thread)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I don't own a single Oasis album.

Same here, though eventually I will have to address this problem.

They will never rank with the greats I'm afraid,

Even better cause I enjoy bands with underdog status. :D
However I don't think it works like that here in Australia, cause the music store here tends to occasionally sets up a little cardboard stand for groups like Oasis, R.E.M., Pink Floyd, U2, Doors, etc. :wtf:

sure a few good songs but eminently forgettable like so many others.

Not bad for someone who don't own a single Oasis Album. :D
A while I was listening to a few songs from R.E.M's Reckoning album and to be honest I have lost track of the songs, though still feel I need to listen to the album due to some hook. :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Feeling your oats CP/M?

Not a fan of post dissection even if you're in good form, you'll never see me do that. Context of a coherent paragraph or few sentences is as important as the individual sentences chopping them up is an old debate trick that I don't like.

Oasis, they will not last like Sunny mentioned they might have pockets of die hard fans scattered about but not here in North America at least not on the scale of England and some other locales.

I don't think they've done anything as good as U2 for example, I'd give them a better chance for longevity especially their early albums.

As far as having an opinion while not owning a single Oasis album, the same is true for Madonna. Can't stand her personally but she has already proved her lasting value to fans worldwide. Cosmic convinced me of that fact a while back and she was right. I respect her accomplishments but her music does nothing for me.

Lastly, if Oasis had managed to stay together and keep recording/touring then I might have had a different opinion. I just don't see Noel ever wanting to do anything with his brother in the future.

Sunny, CP/M give me your favorite Oasis album and I'll give it another listen, perhaps then I would reconsider their stature.:think:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^^Feeling your oats CP/M?

Not a fan of post dissection even if you're in good form, you'll never see me do that. Context of a coherent paragraph or few sentences is as important as the individual sentences chopping them up is an old debate trick that I don't like.

Oasis, they will not last like Sunny mentioned they might have pockets of die hard fans scattered about but not here in North America at least not on the scale of England and some other locales.

I don't think they've done anything as good as U2 for example, I'd give them a better chance for longevity especially their early albums.

As far as having an opinion while not owning a single Oasis album, the same is true for Madonna. Can't stand her personally but she has already proved her lasting value to fans worldwide. Cosmic convinced me of that fact a while back and she was right. I respect her accomplishments but her music does nothing for me.

Lastly, if Oasis had managed to stay together and keep recording/touring then I might have had a different opinion. I just don't see Noel ever wanting to do anything with his brother in the future.

Sunny, CP/M give me your favorite Oasis album and I'll give it another listen, perhaps then I would reconsider their stature.:think:

I'm not following.

Fair enough, though I'm a strong believer in responding with clarity to avoid chaos and/or confusion at the risk of frustrating or breaking the copyright of other people's work. I'll Endeavour to keep everything as it is though I don't see how it's going to add clarity to your responses.

Oasis I should stress according to Wikipedia were nearly going for 20 years! I think if a band has been going for that long, people are not going to forget them anytime soon. Take the Beatles for example, ok bad example, U2 for many people seem to have an era where the music was really good, but then it went pair shape, Rolling Stones for me hasn't been able to cut it since their heyday, other people seem to have the same thought's about R.E.M., if you asked me a few years ago who's Nick Drake, I wouldn't of had a clue.

The album which is niggling away with me is "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" which is perhaps Oasis' best known album, though I guess most people would start their Pink Floyd collection with "Dark Side of the Moon". :D

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Sunny, CP/M give me your favorite Oasis album and I'll give it another listen, perhaps then I would reconsider their stature.

I only have two of their albums LG ..... Definitely Maybe and What's The Story Morning Glory and I like them both equally :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Fair enough, I'll check out Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe and then I'll be back.

CP/M, I never dissect anyone's post not in all the years I've been doing forums. I'll quote the entire paragraph and answer it, because I've seen too many 'keyboard cowboys' use that to create drama.

I didn't realize Oasis was together that long, I still think U2's early work puts them in the shade though.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^^Well it could be wrong cause I got the information from Wikipedia. "Definitely Maybe" is their first album which came out in 1994, Wikipedia lists 7 albums between 1994 & 2008 so in that timeframe the album count is quite low, though I guess these days bands don't tend to whip out an album or two each year. Coldplay for example I think have only had 4 since their first album in 2000, so perhaps the stress of making Rock Music these days is hard.
Oasis' album count looks similar to when The Steve Miller Band were charting with hits and albums. In the case of SMB though, they made lots of albums from their early days (between 1968-73) and got a break in 1973 with The Joker, their next album followed on in 1976 (Fly Like an Eagle) & 1977 (Book of Dreams), two more albums after that 1981 (Circle of Love) though after their 1982 album (Abracadabra) their success began to run out. It's funny though cause SMB launched 2 more albums in 2010 & 2011, their 2010 album Bingo peak at 37 on the US 200. While SMB had some success it was suggested the gap in which they released their albums denied them from reaching super group fame.

SilkSpectre

Killer Queen
Reaction score
If you're listening to Definitely Maybe and What's the story, you're going to listening to what was Oasis' high time. If you enjoy it, go on listening to their other stuff. If not - drop it.
Both albums belong to my personal all-time-favourites. :flirt I don't know how many times I have listened to them.

The Gallagher brothers could be very annoying, arrogant and little bit weird, but at least they were not posh wanna-be stars with no talent. They were just great live though. Think there even was a Interview-CD in the 90s where they verbally fought against each other. Got the impression that all this tension was perhaps good for their creativity, but in the end it seems to be the beginning of the band's end.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Personally, I think "Be Here Now' is better than "Definitely Maybe" but I accept that I'm in the minority on that one.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online