Discography:

1994 Definitely Maybe
1995 (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
1997 Be Here Now
2000 Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
2002 Heathen Chemistry
2005 Don't Believe the Truth
2008 Dig Out Your Soul

Oasis are a British Britpop band formed in the early 90's. The music and songwriting is written by older brother, Noel Gallagher, while lead vocals are covered by his younger brother, Liam Gallagher. The band rose to prominence with their debut album Definitely Maybe because of their catchy, guitar oriented songs. Riding this wave of success, the band's followup album (What's the Story) Morning Glory? was a huge commercial and critical success. They finally broke through the American charts with the popular album and success of the single Wonderwall. The album is now the 3rd highest selling album in UK history. After What's the Story, the group fell out of the Britpop spotlight and struggled to release an album that matched the success of their first two albums. However, some of their recent albums have been pretty noteworthy including Don't Believe the Truth. The band dissolved in late 2009 because controversy between brothers Liam and Noel.

M

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Re: The Unofficial Oasis Thread

never got the knock on the band after their first two albums. They took a step back but still were excellent. I lost them after the third album but in 2001 they caught my attention again. There three albums since then are all good.

Little by Little

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

i pretty much agree aktivator. i mean they still put out some great music but i just dont think it was anywhere near at the level of their first two albums

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

"What's The Story" I feel is a must have for any record collection. Oasis catches a lot of heat on this forum but their borderline worship of the Beatles helped them write very catchy melodies and riffs that are nothing short of addicting.

My favorite song by them,

"Champagne Supernova" is a beautiful song with one of those choruses that is so catchy it just makes everyone want to sing along.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed Cosmic! Love that song!

My other favorites are:

Don't Look Back In Anger

and the best song I found past (What's The Story) Morning Glory was IMO:

Don't Go Away

One note on people hating on rock stars/hip hop stars for their actions. It seems like we used to celebrate rock stars being rock stars and had fun with it. Classic rock stars have done and said crazy almost downright retarded things but we consider them legends. The Beatles were arrogant enough to say they were bigger than Jesus and shit. Elvis and Micheal got to be Kings. It was okay for them but if Oasis or Kanye shoot their mouths off with any arrogance we don't just say "Oh those crazy rockstars!" We just grumble and go as far as to attack the actual music they put out. It seems like we forget that music will always be filled with over the top personalities and that's part of the fun. I laugh about some of the stupid stuff Oasis has said, that which I found coherent :heheh:, but I still enjoy a good portion of their music! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Yeah I agree to some extent with what you're saying Sooty (though to be fair I think the media and fans labeled Elvis and Michael Jackson as "kings"). I mean, rockstars have always been arrogant (hell, I defend Axl Rose constantly) but I think Liam and Kanye have this overwhelming pretentious vibe to their claims. Like, they feel the need to tell people about how great their music is or how grand their importance is rather than let people decided for themselves based on their music.

Also on a sidenote, I wouldn't call Kanye a rockstar because I believe one needs to play rock music to be a rockstar. Just my opinion though.

Anywho, this is one of my favorite post "What's The Story" song....

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

i really wish Noel got more vocal time, he truly was the star of that group if you ask me

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

yeah i mean, they're rock stars, we expect this stuff

i mean did we get on Robert Plant's case for yelling out "I'm a golden god!" ?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice thread TL,,,but I will refrain from saying anything else.:grinthumb

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score

I only have three Oasis albums

Definitely Maybe
(What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Dig Out Your Soul

All brilliant stuff, I don't care if they were a "Beatles ripoff" because they were damn good at it. Don't Look Back in Anger is easily my favorite song of the 90's

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online