Review Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

album review

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg
BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON NEVERMIND:
Nevermind is the second studio album by the American rock band Nirvana, released on September 24, 1991. Produced by Butch Vig, Nevermind was the group's first release on DGC Records. Frontman Kurt Cobain sought to make music outside of the restrictive confines of the Seattle grunge scene, drawing influence from groups such as the Pixies and its use of loud/quiet song dynamics.

Despite low commercial expectations by the band and its record label, Nevermind became a surprise success in late 1991, largely due to the popularity of its first single, "Smells Like Teen Spirit". By January 1992, it had replaced Michael Jackson's album Dangerous at number one on the Billboard charts. The Recording Industry Association of America has certified the album ten times platinum (10 million copies shipped). Nevermind was responsible for bringing alternative rock to a large mainstream audience, and critics subsequently regarded it as one of the best rock albums of all time.

Track Listing:
All songs were written by Kurt Cobain, except where noted.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Cobain, Krist Novoselic, Dave Grohl) – 5:01
"In Bloom" – 4:14
"Come as You Are" – 3:39
"Breed" – 3:03
"Lithium" – 4:17
"Polly" – 2:57
"Territorial Pissings" – 2:22
"Drain You" – 3:43
"Lounge Act" – 2:36
"Stay Away" – 3:32
"On a Plain" – 3:16
"Something in the Way" – 3:55
"Endless, Nameless" (6:44) is a hidden track on some copies of the record.

This album may be regarded as one of the top 10 best rock albums of all-time. It's filled with great songs from start to finish, not really a "bad" song at all that I can think of.

Most people think Smells Like Teen Spirit is the best song off the album, I disagree. It's a great song, very catchy, cool solo, etc. but def. not my favorite song off the album. I'd have to go with Lithium followed by On a Plain as my favorite songs off the album. Lithium is just so catchy it makes you want to dance dispite it's depressing lyrics.

Something in the Way is a really under-rated Nirvana song but I really like the version off of Nevermind, much more then the MTV Unplugged version. They recorded it with a couple mics in the studio room with Kurt whispering the lyrics and it came out with a really depressing mood. Dave and Krist overdubbed the bass and drums afterwards.

Polly is also a great number off the album. It was written about a girl who was kidnapped and raped at a grunge concert in the late 80's early 90's.

In Bloom, the 3rd single off the album (behind Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come As You Are), was written about people liking Nirvana just because of the Bleach album (how ironic because they would get much more famous after the release of Nevermind). But indeed the chorus is extremely catchy and a lot of people sing along to it.

Lounge Act is also a good track off the album, has a great bass line and catchy lyrics that don't make 100% sense but what Nirvana song makes 100% sense? Haha

If you haven't heard this album you should check it out very soon. Even if you aren't a big fan of grunge music you may still like it. At least give it a chance and who knows, you may love it!

Cheers :cheers:
-rollingstoned

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Nirvana - Nevermind 1991

:tup: Very nicely done, Rollingstoned!

I have this album, and I would recommend Nevermind to any rock music collector.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

:tup: Very nicely done, Rollingstoned!

I have this album, and I would recommend Nevermind to any rock music collector.

Thanks, I think we should maybe get a sticky thread and edit it with links to each album, similar format to this:

BANDS:
Nirvana
In Utero Review by User
Nevermind Review by User
etc etc

have it like in order, etc
and allow more then 1 review per album, because some ppl have different opinions, etc.

Oblivion

Reaction score

Thanks, I think we should maybe get a sticky thread and edit it with links to each album, similar format to this:

BANDS:
Nirvana
In Utero Review by User
Nevermind Review by User
etc etc

have it like in order, etc
and allow more then 1 review per album, because some ppl have different opinions, etc.

Not a bad idea :grinthumb

And good review :)

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Rollingstoned;

Okay. You've convinced me to give the album a serious/fair listen. I only became aware of Nirvana after all the "spokesman for a generation" hype following Kurt Cobain's death had begun which gave me a negative predisposition to the band.

:kc:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice review RS, but I am not a big fan of Nirvana. I have listened to them enough to have formed an opinion, Nevermind although the most accessible is the only album I can listen too.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

Nice review RS, but I am not a big fan of Nirvana. I have listened to them enough to have formed an opinion, Nevermind although the most accessible is the only album I can listen too.

That's cool with me, everyone has there own opinions on stuff. I'm sure I don't like everything you listen to but that's what makes us unique.

Personally Nevermind is my least favorite Nirvana album. I really like there more raw sound like from Bleach or In Utero.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online