Review Nirvana - Muddy Banks of Wishkah (1996)

album review

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
Nirvana-FromTheMuddyBanksOfTheWishkah.jpg
Released October 1st, 1996.
Background Information:
From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah is a live album by the American grunge band Nirvana. It was released on October 1, 1996 and features live performances recorded from 1989 to 1994. As opposed to Nirvana's previous live album, MTV Unplugged in New York, From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah features mainly heavier and faster songs.

Track Listing:
All songs written by Kurt Cobain unless otherwise noted. All dates are 100% correct on the recording information.

"Intro" (December 3, 1989; London Astoria, London, United Kingdom) – 0:52
"School" (November 25, 1991; Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands) – 2:40
"Drain You" (December 28, 1991; O'Brien Pavilion, Del Mar, California) (Cobain, Nirvana) – 3:34
"Aneurysm" (December 28, 1991; O'Brien Pavilion, Del Mar, California) (Cobain, Grohl, Novoselic) – 4:31 "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (December 28, 1991; O'Brien Pavilion, Del Mar, California) (Cobain, Nirvana) – 4:47 "Been a Son" (November 25, 1991; Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands) – 2:07
"Lithium" (November 25, 1991; Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands) – 4:10
"Sliver" (November 10, 1993; Springfield Civic Center, Springfield, MA) – 1:55
"Spank Thru" (November 19, 1991; Castle Theatre, Rome, Italy) – 3:10
"Scentless Apprentice" (December 13, 1993; Pier 48, Seattle, WA) (Cobain, Grohl, Novoselic) – 3:31
"Heart-Shaped Box" (December 30, 1993; Great Western Forum, Inglewood, CA) – 4:41
"Milk It" (January 7, 1994; Seattle Center Arena, Seattle, Washington) – 3:45
"Negative Creep" (October 31, 1991; Paramount Theatre, Seattle, Washington,) – 2:43
"Polly" (December 3, 1989; London Astoria, London, United Kingdom) (Cobain, Nirvana) – 2:30
"Breed" (December 3, 1989; London Astoria, London, United Kingdom) (Cobain, Nirvana) – 3:28
"Tourette's" (August 30, 1992; Reading Festival, Reading, UK) – 1:55
"Blew" (November 25, 1991; Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands) – 3:36

General Review:
My favorite live Nirvana album hands down. Has all there hits packed into this album and it's ready to rock. From the heavy guitar work in Breed to Lithium's catchy riff it's all here. I suggest this album to any Nirvana fan and even if your not into them that much give it a shot. It's def. worth your time to listen to it. This album will give you a small example of how Nirvana sounded live taking some of there best audio recordings of them performing live all across the world and putting it into 1 CD.

Personal Favorites off the Album:
Lithium
School
Blew
Breed
Aneurysm

I think Lithium is my favorite track off this album, it's a great version a little more heavy but it goes really smooth. Kurt vocals are perfect on it and Dave and Krist's beat hit in perfect for this concert.

Next up is School, always been a good song off the Bleach album but the live performance is really good. Be sure to check out the solo Kurt does near the end it's really a killer solo, one of his best all-time.

Blew is another track off there debut album Bleach back in 1989. It has a really catchy riff and has a nice chorus, one of my favorites off this and the Bleach album.

Breed is the 4th track off the Nevermind album, it's one of those high-energy punk-sounding songs. Be sure to check it out, it's a great song.

Aneurysm is my final picking here. This version off the Muddy Banks of Wishkah is basically perfect. They even released it as a single in the U.S. and the UK when the album was released back in 1996, 2 years after Kurt Cobain's death.

Be sure to check this album out it is a great album if you want to experience what Nirvana sounds like live! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.