Nils Lofgren (Official Thread)

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Nils Lofgren Official Website

Nils Hilmer Lofgren (born June 21, 1951, Chicago, Illinois, United States) is an American rock music recording artist, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. Along with his work as a solo artist, he has marked over 25 years as a member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band as well as a former member of Crazy Horse and Grin.

Biography

Early life and career
Lofgren was born in Chicago in 1951 to Swedish/Italian parents. He moved to the suburban town of Garrett Park, Maryland, near the northern border of Washington, D.C. as a very young child. Lofgren's first instrument was classical accordion, beginning at age 5, which he studied seriously for ten years. After studying classical music and jazz, throughout his youth, Lofgren switched his emphasis to rock music, and focused on the piano and the guitar. By 1968, Lofgren formed the band Grin, originally with bassist George Daly, and drummer Bob Berberich, former players in the DC band The Hangmen.[4] The group played in the venues throughout the Washington, D.C. area. Lofgren had been a competitive gymnast in high school, a skill that popped up later in his career. During this time, Lofgren met Neil Young and played for him. Young invited Lofgren to come to California and the Grin trio (Lofgren, Daly and Berberich) drove out west and lived for some months at a home Neil Young rented in Laurel Canyon.

Lofgren joined Neil Young's band at age 17, playing piano and guitar on the album After the Gold Rush. Young gave him this role despite his having virtually no experience on the instrument; Lofgren worked on his parts around-the-clock when recording was not in session. Lofgren maintained a close musical relationship with Young, appearing on his Tonight's the Night album and tour among others. He was also briefly a member of Crazy Horse, appearing on their 1971 LP and contributing songs to their catalogue.

Grin
Lofgren used the Neil Young album credits to land his band Grin a record deal in 1971. Lofgren had formed the band originally with bassist George Daly and drummer Bob Berberich, and the group played in venues throughout the Washington D.C. area before going to California. Daly left the band early on to become a Columbia Records A & R Executive and was replaced by bassist Bob Gordon, who remained through the release of four critically acclaimed albums of catchy, hard rock, from 1971 to 1974, with guitar as Lofgren's primary instrument. The single "White Lies" got heavy airplay on Washington, D.C.-area radio. Lofgren wrote the majority of the group's songs, and often shared vocal duties with other members of the band (primarily drummer Bob Berberich). After the second album Nils added brother Tom Lofgren as a rhythm guitarist. Grin failed to hit the big time, and were released by their record company.

Solo career, part I
In 1974 Grin disbanded. Lofgren's eponymous debut solo album was a success with critics: (a 1975 Rolling Stone review by Jon Landau labeled it one of the finest rock albums of the year), it was number 5 in the NME list of albums of the year and "Cry Tough" was voted number 10 in the 1976 NME Album round up. He achieved progressive rock radio hits in the mid-1970s with "Back It Up", "Keith Don't Go" and "I Came to Dance". His song "Bullets Fever", about the 1978 NBA champion Washington Bullets, would become a favorite in the Washington area. Throughout the 1970s, Lofgren released solo albums and toured extensively with a backing band that again usually included brother Tom on rhythm guitar. Lofgren's concerts displayed his reputation for theatrics, such as playing guitar while doing flips on a trampoline.

In 1971 he appeared on stage on the Roy Buchanan Special, PBS TV, with Bill Graham. In 1973 he appeared with Grin on NBC on Midnight Special, performing three songs live. In 1978 he wrote and sang the "Nobody Bothers Me" theme for a D.C. Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do advertisement, and also appeared in the notorious Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie. In 1987 he contributed the TV Show theme arrangement for Hunter. In 1993 he contributed to The Simpsons, with two Christmas jingles with Bart. In 1995 he appeared on a PBS tribute to the Beatles along with Dr. John. From 1991–95 he was the CableAce Awards musical director and composer.

E Street Band
In 1984, he joined Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band as the replacement for Steven Van Zandt on guitar and vocals, in time for Springsteen's massive Born in the U.S.A. Tour. Following the tour he appeared on Late Night with David Letterman, to promote his 1985 solo release Flip. The E Street Band toured again with Springsteen in 1988 on the Tunnel of Love Express. In 1989 Springsteen broke up the E Street Band, but Lofgren and Van Zandt rejoined when Springsteen revived the band in 1999 for their Reunion Tour, followed by The Rising and another massive tour in 2002 and 2003, then again for the Magic album and world tour of 2007/2008, and most recently for the Working on a Dream Tour.

Solo career, part II
Lofgren continues to record and to tour as a solo act, with Patti Scialfa, with Neil Young, and as a two-time member of Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band. Many of the people he worked with on those tours appeared on his 1991 album, Silver Lining. During the 2000s he got his own "Nils Lofgren Day" in Montgomery County, Maryland (August 25). In 2006 Lofgren released Sacred Weapon, featuring guest appearances by David Crosby, Graham Nash, Willie Nelson and Martin Sexton. In 2006 he recorded a live DVD Nils Lofgren & Friends: Acoustic Live.

On June 23, 2006, Lofgren performed at a benefit concert for Arthur Lee at New York's Beacon Theater, along with Robert Plant, Ian Hunter, Yo La Tengo and Garland Jeffreys. In 2007, he appeared playing guitar as part of Jerry Lee Lewis' backing band for Lewis' Last Man Standing Live concert DVD. He released The Loner – Nils Sings Neil, an album of acoustic covers of Neil Young songs, in 2008.

In September 2008, Lofgren had hip replacement surgery for both of his hips as a result of years of playing basketball, "performance 'flips' on stage and age." Lofgren has stated on his website that he feels he will be in good condition.

Other work:
Novelist Clive Cussler lives close to Lofgren's Arizona home, and collaborated on a song with him, which they co-wrote, and recorded, titled, "What Ever Happened to Muscatel?"

In 2010, Lofgren – a self-described "huge sports fan" – wrote a long open letter to ESPN and the rest of the sports reporting community, condemning their favorable treatment of Michael Vick's return to football stardom.

Musical equipment:
Lofgren primarily uses a variety of Fender guitars and amplifers.

MORE IN LINK: Nils Lofgren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1543A1354D5BC5661CEE4D.jpg

NilsPhotoLine.jpg

I Came To Dance

Keith Don't Go

Cry Tough

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nils solo career was off my radar....totally missed out on it. I checked your wikipedia link, and he has a HUGE solo discography:

1975: Nils Lofgren (A&M)
1975: Back It Up!! (Live) (A&M)
1976: Cry Tough (A&M)
1977: I Came to Dance (A&M)
1978: Night After Night (A&M)
1979: Nils (A&M)
1981: Night Fades Away (Backstreet/MCA)
1981: Best of Nils Lofgren (A&M)
1982: A Rhythm Romance vinyl/cassette only, UK (A&M)
1983: Wonderland (Backstreet/MCA)
1985: Flip (CBS)
1986: Code Of The Road, Live '85, Europe/Japan only (A&M)
1987: Classics Vol. 13/Best Of Nils Lofgren (A&M)
1991: Nils Lofgren Live, video aka Nils Lofgren Band Live at Town and Country Club, UK (Castle Music Pictures)
1991: Silver Lining (Rykodisc)
1992: Don't Walk. Rock, Best Of, UK only (Connoisseur)
1992: Crooked Line (Rykodisc)
1993: Every Breath, Soundtrack (Stampede)
1993: Every Breath, with 4 track EP, diff. cover, with Lou Gramm, Dutch (SPV)
1993: Every Breath, RE, diff cover, (Vision)
1993: Live On The Test, UK only (Windsong)
1994: Code Of The Road, Live (Stampede)
1994: Soft Fun, Tough Tears – Best Of with Grin, Australia only (Raven)
1995: Damaged Goods(Pure)
1995: Shine Silently, Best Of, Germany only (Spectrum)
1996: Steal Your Heart, Best of, Dutch only (A&M)
1997: Acoustic Live (Vision)
1997: Archive Live, Live N.J. Stone Pony 1985 (A.A.)
1997: Code Of The Road, RE, diff cover, Live 1985 (Right Stuff)
1998: Acoustic Live, RE, diff. cover (Right Stuff)
1998: Into the Night, Best Of, Germany Live (BMG)
1998: Best Of A&M Years, Nils+Grin Dutch only (Spectrum)
1998: New Lives BBC, UK only (HUX)
1999: Ultimate Collection, Best of (Hip-O)
2001: Bootleg, 1975, Live (Vision)
2001: Nils Lofgren, re-issue with 2 bonus tracks (A&M)
2001: Nils, with 1 bonus track (A&M)
2001: Flip, with 1 bonus track (CBS)
2001: Breakaway Angel, (Vision)
2002: Tuff Stuff-The Best of the All-Madden Team Band (Vision)
2003: Nils Lofgren Band Live (Vision)
2006: Sacred Weapon (Vision)
2008: The Loner – Nils Sings Neil (Vision)

I listened to the videos posted, and Nils has some fairly mellow stuff, decent chill music :grinthumb

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Yup, he has some good tunes. A very underrated guitarist too, in my opinion.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree with you....

I am still checking out some videos. I think I am gonna see if I can find his 1981 Best of Nils album.

do you have any of his solo albums?

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I agree with you....

I am still checking out some videos. I think I am gonna see if I can find his 1981 Best of Nils album.

do you have any of his solo albums?

I only have Night After Night but I'm also thinking about picking up a compilation CD. :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The 1999 Ultimate Collection....:think:........I found it :D

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Just read this on Rolling Stone:

Nils Lofgren Dedicates New Album to Clarence Clemons
E Street guitarist collaborates with Paul Rodgers, Sam Moore on 'Old School'

By STEVE BALTIN
NOVEMBER 8, 2011 10:15 AM ET

main.jpg
Nils Lofgren performs at Cadogan Hall in London

Despite 27 years as a member of the E Street Band, guitarist Nils Lofgren has no more idea than anyone when the legendary group might tour or record again. Nor is he concerned about that right now. "I'm so heartbroken Clarence is gone," he says of his fallen bandmate, Clarence "Big Man" Clemons, who passed away earlier this year at age 69.

But Lofgren is filling the E Street downtime and expressing his sorrow the best way he knows how – with music. He has a wonderful new album, Old School, featuring guest appearances by Paul Rodgers, Foreigner's Lou Gramm and Sam Moore, and he just wrapped up an acoustic duo tour with friend Greg Varlotta, with more dates to come in 2012.

Lofgren spoke with Rolling Stone about the new album, his relationship with Clarence and the Wack Brothers, his nickname for a part-time band featuring he, Bruce Springsteen and other members of E Street.

MORE IN LINK (including Q&A): Nils Lofgren Dedicates New Album to Clarence Clemons | Music News | Rolling Stone

joe

Reaction score
Grin's four albums after all these years are still flying under the radar. 1+1 is a gem. Superb. Critically acclaimed at the time and still criminally over looked IMO.

There is some fantastic rockin' tracks from all four albums. Here's a few of my favs:

I couldn't find the other tracks on youtube. Great to see Grin mentioned in a thread.:grinthumb

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Here is an absolutely beautiful song by Nils Lofgren called Valentine. Bruce has very soft background vocals on this track and Ringo is on drums. Give it a listen, you won't be disappointed. Perfect song to play to your love on Valentine's Day. t4518.gif

Valentine - Nils Lofgren

Today I'm thinkin' about the world we live in
All the love and hate that's floatin' around
All the times I felt so lost and helpless
You stood by me, you never let me down
Still I keep throwin' up these walls
Most of them I've built with stones
You tear 'em down and bridge the distance
Knowin' we ain't here to be alone
So let your blue heart open wide
Let's never leave our dreams behind
It would comfort and restore my pride
If you let me be your valentine
Our differences are part of life
Still love will pass the test of time
I want you everyday and night
Girl, won't you be my valentine
be my valentine
Be my valentine
Be my valentine

source: Lyrics On Demand - Song Lyrics, Lyrics of Songs, Free Lyrics, Free Song Lyrics, Rap Lyrics, Country Lyrics, Hip Hop Lyrics, Rock Lyrics, Country Music Lyrics, Music Lyrics

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Another guy I like who contributed to Ringo Starr and The All Starr Band. :grinthumb

This album still takes me back!

51dKl2F3kUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online