Nightwish (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

nightwish_logo_001_xlarge.jpeg

Nightwish Official Website

Nightwish_logo.pngis a symphonic power gothic metal band from Kitee, Finland, formed in 1996 by songwriter/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen, guitarist Emppu Vuorinen, and former vocalist Tarja Turunen. Nightwish is Finland's most successful band with more than 7 million albums & singles sold worldwide, 1 silver award, 11 gold awards and 30 platinum awards

Although Nightwish has been prominent in their home country since the release of their first single, “The Carpenter” (1997) and debut album Angels Fall First,

415hgiMqkhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...they did not achieve worldwide fame until the release of the albums Oceanborn, Wishmaster and Century Child,which were released in 1998, 2000 and 2002 respectively.

51SsKoEBRbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41ZH5UDJeBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41P45358B6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Their 2004 album, Once, which has sold more than 1 million copies,led to Nightwish video clips being shown on MTV in the United States and inclusion of their music in US movie soundtracks.

61QNX54X5ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Their biggest US hit single, “Wish I Had an Angel” (2004), made it onto three US film soundtracks as a means to promote their North American tour.

The band produced three more singles and two music videos for the album, as well as “Sleeping Sun”, from the 2005 “best of” compilation album, Highest Hopes, prior to vocalist Tarja Turunen’s dismissal.

41T7F1P628L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

In May 2007, former Alyson Avenue frontwoman, Anette Olzon, was revealed as Turunen’s replacement,and in the autumn, the band released a new album - Dark Passion Play

51L1SGSSNnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

nightwish-imaginaerum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Nightwish

I have Once and Dark passion Play which I admit I enjoyed but at the same time never listened to at to much depth. I heard that they got rid of the original singer who was classically trained and replaced her with one who was willing to bend to a more acceptable, mainstream sound. I've seen the original singers solo c.d. in stores. Have you listened to that one?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I see the "Metal Elves" were busy last night...:grinthumb

I have everything from Nightwish, and I really enjoyed Tarja's vocals but have warmed up to Annette now.

Neverlife

Reaction score

I loved Nightwish, and then swore off their new stuff with Annete, because no one could be Tarja. But eventually I realized it aint half bad...even if she isn't Tarja. :tongue:

Their live DvD 'The End of an Era' is epic. Its the concert right before they give Tarja the boot. And it gets played quite often here at my house, I have shivers from start to finish.

Phantom of the Opera

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

:phones:

Angels Fall First

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members