Nick Cave (Official Thread)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
24143aa9d03d2d78e16e4342ecdc5c51.jpg

Nick Cave Official Website
Nick Cave on Wikipedia

Nick Cave is one of Australia's most accomplished, prolific and talented songwriters. In a career spanning 38 years, Nick has gained a huge reputation for his eclectic music, electric live performances, intelligent, often dark lyrics and his emotional style of songwriting.

Between 1973 and 1984, Nick fronted "The Birthday Party" and recorded 9 albums, but his main work has been in his own band "Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds" of which he has released 14 albums between 1984 and 2008. He also recorded 2 albums as "Grinderman". Nick has also collaborated with many other musicians, written screenplays, soundtracks and even acted in a few movies. There isn't much he hasn't done!

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Discography:

1984 From Her to Eternity
1985 The Firstborn Is Dead
1986 Kicking Against the ******
1986 Your Funeral... My Trial
1988 Tender Prey
1990 The Good Son
1992 Henry's Dream
1994 Let Love In
1996 Murder Ballads
1997 The Boatman's Call
2001 No More Shall We Part
2003 Nocturama
2004 Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
2008 Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

The main focus though is his music, and it can be anything from spine chillingly beautiful to violently aggressive, and everything in between. here are a few examples:

:ec:

Lady Stardust

Reaction score
Love him! I just got introduced a few months ago, and I think this is a guy that doesn't get his due here in the U.S. Some of his stuff can be a little harsh for me, but no matter what he is ALWAYS an excellent story teller. Red Right Hand is def. a favorite of mine (I love to quote the lyrics in facebook statuses and people who aren't familiar always think i am being super cryptic & mysterious, hehe).

I also love The Ship Song & (of course) Rock of Gibralter, & Henry Lee (with the amazing PJ Harvey):

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
At the moment I've only got one album, "The Boatman's Call". But I love it and really want to get more music from him! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Just heard a cover of "The Ship Song" and it made me want to hear the original! I love what they did in the cover but since this is the Nick Cave thread I'll say that it's a beautiful song and I can see why the artist wanted to cover it. Nick has a dark, almost gothic vocal style and it's a unique contrast to the beautiful piano melody. A unique beautiful song! :grinthumb

The Ship Song

And after further listen I do dig the other stuff posted hear! "Stagger Lee" is a cool profane rocker, The Kylie duet very interesting and surprisingly works and I agree "Rock of Gibraltar" is a great track! :)

Giannis JB

Reaction score
Push the Sky Away!

Q7tjFJ0ia5oDHKdtGgf4fojIj6ol2rdIDSi9ZlPcSaof4cArCJ.jpg

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds released their new album "Push the Sky Away" on 18 February 2013.

Tracklist:

1. We No Who U R
2. Wide Lovely Eyes
3. Water's Edge
4. Jubilee Street
5. Mermaids
6. We Real Cool
7. Finishing Jubilee Street
8. Higgs Boson Blues
9. Push The Sky Away

I haven't heard this album yet, but I saw yesterday his gig in Fonda Theatre in LA. He was amazing!
Check out his best moments in the videos below:

Jubilee Street

Push the sky away

From Her to Eternity

The Ship Song

Wide Lovely Eyes

Deanna

The Mercy Seat

Stagger Lee

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
*BUMP*

Since I last visited here I've picked up Murder Ballads, listened to it while driving through a thunderstorm in my friend's beat up 85' Mazda and nothing was more appropriate ever. This song in particular, was a novel of imagination and old western treachery. It's as if I'd pulled up a stool and watched every event unfold right in front of me!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm in love with this track from Nick Caves first group "The Boy Next Door"! Gloomy, mopey, melodic, transcendence! :D:

Nick Cave-Shivers

mich

Reaction score
I went to the very first public gig in Melbourne Australia when the band was called The Boys next Door. It was held in a house out in the suburbs. Reasonably impressive but the guy to talk(Nick Cave)to is a little bit obnoxious. He was into the Punk music scene in St. Kilda (suburb of Melbourne). The original guitarist Roland Howard (very talented) died of cancer and the original bassist Tracy Pew died of drug overdose.They changed their name later onto The Birthday Party.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online