New ZZTop CD nears completion

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
planetrock.com

The band talk about forthcoming new LP, which is being mixed right now

"It sounds and feels like Tres Hombres, with a few elements of the Eliminator period thrown in. A pretty wide range, from basic blues to slightly more fancy stuff," guitarist Billy Gibbons tells Mojo.

The album has been in the works since 2008 and it will be the band's first new material since 2003's Mescalero. It is being produced by Rick Rubin.

"We're three guys in the same room, playing pretty much the same three chords that we've been playing all of these years," says Gibbons of the sound of the album. "I wouldn't say there's a little something for everybody, but there's enough for diehard ZZ Top fans, as well as the newcomers that stumble upon it."

The album has been tightly under wraps for the past few years, but one track - 'Flyin' High' - was given to NASA Astronaut Michael Fossum, who played it on route to the International Space Station in June. "We figured it'd be the perfect song to pass along to the astronauts," says Gibbons. The song is on the "poppier" side of ZZ Top's sound, but the record contains a plethora of classic "Top" styles, including stripped back blues and a cover of Willie Brown's 'Future Blues.'

The as yet untitled album is in its final mixing stage and will be with us in the autumn, and tracks set to appear on the record include 'More Slower Blues', 'Chartreuse', and 'Have A Little Mercy.'

More news as and when we have it.

You can listen to 'Flyin' High' below:

Mr. T

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of "That Little Ol' Band from Texas" and this track sounds pretty good to me... better than anything on Mescalero IMO. I'll be looking forward to this.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
:tup:

I will be adding this to my ZZ Top collection. I have never been disappointed with their music in the past :)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
that's not a bad tune. The chorus is kinda average, but the rest of the song is pretty damn cool. Love the solo and the guitar riffs all over that tune.

Mr. Flee

Reaction score
i expected more of a back to basics sound from rubin...if the 80's sounding flyin high is representative for the rest of the album i'd be very dissapointed...love vintage zz top but the eliminator era stuff :uh:

noodlez

Reaction score
For a few seconds into the song I was intrigued because they can still rock, but damn that chorus leaves an awful taste behind. Reminds me of a latter day Black Stone Cherry song...well honestly all of their songs. Too mainstream for my ears.

For some vintage boogie there is a father/son duo called Grant Black that blows this out of the water. Check 'em here or at CD Baby if you are interested.

----------------
Now playing: Los Lonely Boys - Baby Girl
via FoxyTunes

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online