New Orleans Brass Bands

TheHealer

Reaction score
I was introduced to brass band music by my wife back a few years ago, she is from New Orleans.

I've really grown to love brass band music. Everything about it.

The Free Agents Brass Band are one of the best brass bands in New Orleans.

On a personal note, they performed at my wedding and were amazing.

I'll start the thread with two songs from a recent Free Agents performance at a brass band battle that was held in New Orleans a few months ago.

Any fans of New Orleans Brass Band music out there?

Shake It & Break It

Jambalaya

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Not my area of expertise TH...but I'll follow along as you go.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
What's the biggest difference between "New Orleans" jazz and "Kansas City" jazz TH?

TheHealer

Reaction score
What's the biggest difference between "New Orleans" jazz and "Kansas City" jazz TH?

LG, I would say that the biggest difference would be that because New Orleans is the birthplace of Jazz there are different styles of Jazz that were created there whereas in Kansas City one particular style of jazz developed that heavily incorporated the blues and the music was very uptempo and high energy. At that time, it was a distinctive type of Jazz that was being played by musicians in Kansas City.

Charlie Parker is probably the most famous jazz artist from Kansas City and he came out of that jazz scene.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thanks TH, I know a little about Charlie Parker but never really understood the difference, no surprise as I said I dabble in Jazz but never went into it very deep.

I have picked up a Coltrane album since we chatted, and I'll post my thoughts when I get time to listen to it...that is my biggest problem never enough time to get to everything.

:cheers2

TheHealer

Reaction score
Thanks TH, I know a little about Charlie Parker but never really understood the difference, no surprise as I said I dabble in Jazz but never went into it very deep.

I have picked up a Coltrane album since we chatted, and I'll post my thoughts when I get time to listen to it...that is my biggest problem never enough time to get to everything.

:cheers2

If there's no Charlie Parker thread, I'll get one started soon

:D

Can't wait to read your review of the Coltrane album.

It is so true what you say......so much great music, never enough time to enjoy it....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You would be the one to write a "Bird" thread.:hab:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online