New Jeff Lynne solo album ready to roll

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
Lynne is better solo than with ELO:):):)

I think it is the exact opposite, as Jeff Lynne's lone solo effort, Armchair Theatre from 20 years ago, while still enjoyable in spots, was somewhat uneven, especially when compared to 12 ELO studio albums, 1 soundtrack, 2 CD box sets and a 1990 album by Electric Light Orchestra Part Two!

Rick

Last edited:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I am wondering whether they got cold feet and are releasing it as an ELO album like they did with Zoom :wa

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
I think it is the exact opposite, as Jeff Lynne's lone solo effort, Armchair Theatre from 20 years ago, while still enjoyable in spots, was somewhat uneven especially when compared to 12 ELO studio albums, 1 soundtrack, 2 CD box sets and a 1990 album by Electric Light Orchestra Part Two!

Rick

.....but the later ELO albums were full of disco crap:):)

TrekkiELO

Reaction score

.....but the later ELO albums were full of disco crap:):)

You are misinformed, only 2 albums, Discovery (studio) and Xanadu (soundtrack), might qualify...

Otherwise Time, Secret Messages, Balance of Power and ZOOM are not disco, they're techno or Wilbury pop!

Rick

Last edited:

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
You are misinformed, only 2 albums, Discovery (studio) and Xanadu (soundtrack), might qualify...

Otherwise Time, Secret Messages, Balance of Power and ZOOM are not disco, they're techno or Wilbury pop!

Rick

In fact I didn't specify, but I DID NOT say ALL of the later ones :):):):****:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
In fact I didn't specify, but I DID NOT say ALL of the later ones :):):):****:

Have you listened to "Discovery"? The album has a misleading reputation for being representative of ELO’s so-called “disco” phase, but only two tracks really fit the bill..."Shine A Little Love" and "Last Train To London". Discovery is unique in that it combines ELO's wall of sound and orchestral pop with a few disco elements.

The following is from
http://thequietus.com/articles/01380-the....c-career-of-elo
Discovery (Jet, 1979)
Ideally, Discovery would live up to its title and showcase Lynne's wholehearted embrace of disco, thumbing his nose to the rockist screed of the times and... oh, you know. Unfortunately, only two tracks really justify the allusive title; fortunately, they happen to be 'Shine A Little Love' and 'Last Train To London', two of the finest fusions of metronomic groove and shiny pop songcraft ever created. Lynne clearly relished the challenge of getting booties shaking to his overwrought melodic masterpieces, but didn't feel quite confident enough to stage a full-blown crossover. Thankfully, the best of the rest of this album is even better than Out Of The Blue. 'The Diary Of Horace Wimp' is a majestic 'A Day In The Life' rewrite, scaling back the self-conscious trippiness of Lennon and McCartney's original to focus on the mundane trials and tribs of poor feckless **** Horace. He ends up in love and married, so that's all cool, but the huge relief engendered by that revelation is overshadowed by the song's enormous symphonic outro. 'Confusion' is one of the least confusing songs about being confused I've ever heard and also one of the most affecting.'On The Run' is approximately the 1,400,000th song called 'On The Run', but has a wonderful, stuttering high-pitched squeak for a chorus. The album concludes in epic fashion with the sound of a bunch of Midlands musicians kicking your head in while offering you sweets aka 'Don't Bring Me Down' (“Brrrrrrrrrruce!”).

And the writer didn't even mention the mushy sentimental ballads "Wishing", "Midnight Blue" and "Need Her Love"...Jeff was in love.

If that is "full of disco" then the word "full" has a whole new meaning.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^ Discovery is a great album. A feel good for me annie. :grinthumb

Two awesome epic ballads come off of it, Midnight Blue and Confusion (very Orbison) and the most epic Diary Of Horace Wimp!!

:bow:

Shine A Little Love or Last Train To London might qualify as disco, but only for having elements, you're right. But even if they were fully fledged disco tunes, they're still great tunes!!

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Have you listened to "Discovery"? The album has a misleading reputation for being representative of ELO’s so-called “disco” phase, but only two tracks really fit the bill..."Shine A Little Love" and "Last Train To London". Discovery is unique in that it combines ELO's wall of sound and orchestral pop with a few disco elements.

The following is from
http://thequietus.com/articles/01380-the....c-career-of-elo
Discovery (Jet, 1979)
Ideally, Discovery would live up to its title and showcase Lynne's wholehearted embrace of disco, thumbing his nose to the rockist screed of the times and... oh, you know. Unfortunately, only two tracks really justify the allusive title; fortunately, they happen to be 'Shine A Little Love' and 'Last Train To London', two of the finest fusions of metronomic groove and shiny pop songcraft ever created. Lynne clearly relished the challenge of getting booties shaking to his overwrought melodic masterpieces, but didn't feel quite confident enough to stage a full-blown crossover. Thankfully, the best of the rest of this album is even better than Out Of The Blue. 'The Diary Of Horace Wimp' is a majestic 'A Day In The Life' rewrite, scaling back the self-conscious trippiness of Lennon and McCartney's original to focus on the mundane trials and tribs of poor feckless **** Horace. He ends up in love and married, so that's all cool, but the huge relief engendered by that revelation is overshadowed by the song's enormous symphonic outro. 'Confusion' is one of the least confusing songs about being confused I've ever heard and also one of the most affecting.'On The Run' is approximately the 1,400,000th song called 'On The Run', but has a wonderful, stuttering high-pitched squeak for a chorus. The album concludes in epic fashion with the sound of a bunch of Midlands musicians kicking your head in while offering you sweets aka 'Don't Bring Me Down' (“Brrrrrrrrrruce!”).

And the writer didn't even mention the mushy sentimental ballads "Wishing", "Midnight Blue" and "Need Her Love"...Jeff was in love.

If that is "full of disco" then the word "full" has a whole new meaning.

:cheers2:bow::grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online