Neo-Prog

Which of these two has had a bigger impact/influence on progressive rock?

• Neo-Prog

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Iron Maiden/Metallica

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I don't really like ANY of it myself. Does that some how make my opinion invalid or insulting ?

The poll is a question to which I gave an honest answer. I have no plans to enter any or all of the neo-prog band threads I see here at the forum and tell everyone how boring and non-progressive I feel these pop bands are as that WOULD be abrasive and confrontational .

However under the context of this poll which asks for an opinion I feel it is not only an acceptable practice to state my opinion on the matter but also feel that it would be boring and a bit tyrannical to only allow responses that are "positive".

I not only don't care if others don't like bands I'm into also am very glad everyone DOESN'T like everything that I do.
its different you didn't make the poll. But I'll gladly say sorry I don't agree guess its your opinion and you taste in music.

joe

Reaction score
However under the context of this poll which asks for an opinion I feel it is not only an acceptable practice to state my opinion on the matter but also feel that it would be boring and a bit tyrannical to only allow responses that are "positive".

This is a forum. Isn't this what this is all about(?). For me, I see it as place where people can give thier opinions, observations, constructive criticism, have dialogue on music and be respectful of each other at the same time. Wolf is absolutely right.

What about this was a "colour" forum. Now, if I stated that I didn't like indigo blue and somebody did have a passion for that particular colour, should that person become upset at me? I should think not. That being said, I have no control over other people's reaction, only my own. That's thier stuff.

If someone commented on my liking of blood red and said, "joe, that is a really bad taste in colour, how do you stand it?", then I would bring out the heavy artillery. But if that person stated," I think blood red is not a nice colour and it doesn't work in my living room", well, I'd be fine with that. I would see that as that person's view on that colour and I wouldn't see as personal insult or attack.

I have noticed that some members have said that they were worried about "being hammered" or "getting trashed". Really, it comes down to that. Jeezuz, people are afraid to voice thier opinion in fear of retaliation. Holy f@#*, this makes me both angry and sad. Man, it shouldn't come down to that, should it?

THINK ABOUT IT

wilcey

Reaction score
Interesting discussion!
(I'm a newbie here so please be gentle with me!!!)
I don't really understand the question in the poll, it's bit like asking what has the biggest influence over socks? A]Socks or B]shoes

I really really want the answer to be shoes, because socks is already socks!
(does that make sense?)

Although I do think that there are some "prog" bands pushing out and actually reaching further afield in their music, sadly there are many more who are really trying to re-produce what was actually progressive 30 years ago.
As you'll see from my intro I always considered myself a prog head right from being introduced to the genre in 1984 whilst at high school and finally feeling I'd found the music I'd been searching for.
But more and more I'm finding "prog" bands are simply sticking their old (successful) albums in a blender and throwing them back out there and I'm finding it really quite depressing.
I think having teenage boys at home introduce me to some other types of rock has influenced my listening a great deal.
It's important I think at times to try to let go of our musical prejudices.

W x

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
My problem with neo- prog is not that they are not pushing the borders of what was already established as progressive rock in it's golden by gone age but that it has watered down the progressive element to such a degree the majority of the time that it is no longer a progressive form of music IMO but one that
has moved back into the mainstream sound the old bands worked so hard at moving away from with their intense degree of technical complexity and high level of musicianship.

Moving into a more mainstream pop mode is not a progressive art form IMO.
On the other hand they're a lot of Retro Prog bands that are amazing .As is also true of some of the bands in other progressive music forms... Jazz, Metal... for two prime examples. There are bands that are definitely pushing the envelope

wilcey

Reaction score
My problem with neo- prog is not that they are not pushing the borders of what was already established as progressive rock in it's golden by gone age but that it has watered down the progressive element to such a degree the majority of the time that it is no longer a progressive form of music IMO but one that
has moved back into the mainstream sound the old bands worked so hard at moving away from with their intense degree of technical complexity and high level of musicianship.

Moving into a more mainstream pop mode is not a progressive art form IMO.
On the other hand they're a lot of Retro Prog bands that are amazing .As is also true of some of the bands in other progressive music forms... Jazz, Metal... for two prime examples. There are bands that are definitely pushing the envelope

Do you mean that music that has recognisable melody does not have a high level of musicianship? Testing you musical skill at creating something that is such a challenging noise for the listener and has no place for melody is defeating the object surely? When I hear people (not you, but others) bemoan the fact that bands of that type are misunderstood or underrated it makes me laugh like a drain...... melody, rhythymn, soul..... these things need to be in place for 99.9999% of people to feel the music, to empathise with it, to enjoy it. Tony Banks back in those early Genesis days pushed boundaries, explored new challenges, combined styles, crossed over genres and at the same time showed a high level of musicianship BUT managed to keep hold of some strong and powerful melodies that stirred the heart. And sadly, I think it's the lack of being able to combine these things that is very much apparent it a lot of todays Prog.

I think it's an interesting point for discussion, but sadly I think also that it's a point that inflames a lot of anger, and that is definitely not my wish.

I simply believe that people are more likely to turn the stereo to 11 on a sunny day driving to something they can sing to than they are something that have to do mathematical equations to...... And I mean prog fans here too!
It's possible to combine musical skill and melody. In fact, I believe that it's easier to create calculated widely diddle than it it to mix skill and melody to produce something really killer!
:cheers2
W xxx

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
What I mean is pop is a boring middle of the road snooze fest to me and neo -prog is exactly the same IMO.

I won't justify my taste. It is my taste and I am never concerned enough about what others think of my taste to bother debating or explaining it over again in more detail. That bores me as much as pop music :heheh:

I 'd rather listen to music state my opinion when I feel moved to do so and move on leaving others free to feel however they might but with me not concerning myself with that feeling . Just the way I am. :cheers2

wilcey

Reaction score
I think Wilcey has done a couple of top notch posts already, even if I disagree with some of his points.:grinthumb
:cheers2

Gee thanks!

although I'm a girl....... which some might say make my views more understandable! :lmao:

When I say girl........ more and old hen than a chick.........but you get my drift!

W x

wilcey

Reaction score
Jeez Fellas,

I didn't want to stir up a hornets nest here, I just wanted to pitch in with a discussion I've though lots about.

I'll try not to rattle cages in the future

W x

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
If you got the feeling I'm offended I'm not I just don't see any point in defending my personal taste. Everyone has their own and it is never right nor wrong it just is

And mine is that Neo prog is not true prog because it has moved to the middle of the road. If you like it and think it's real prog more power to you .:)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online

No members online now.