Neo-Prog

Which of these two has had a bigger impact/influence on progressive rock?

• Neo-Prog

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Iron Maiden/Metallica

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

joe

Reaction score
Neo-prog is sub genre of progressive rock that was formed out the movement in the early '80's from British bands that were mostly influenced by early Genesis and Camel and some others to a lesser extent. The biggest of these bands is Marillion, especially the vocalist Fish-era of the band. Many of the bands are still producing albums today.

Which of these two has had more of an impact and influence on progressive rock in general? Neo-prog or Iron Maiden/Metallica

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow this one Joe...I never really considered Metallica or Iron Maiden proggy bands, progressive metal I could see the connection but not along the veins of Camel and Genesis etc.

I will wait for clarification before voting.;)

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
As LG says, maybe the influence was on prog metal. Not at all on prog.

This question is not all that important.

joe

Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow this one Joe...I never really considered Metallica or Iron Maiden proggy bands, progressive metal I could see the connection but not along the veins of Camel and Genesis etc.

I will wait for clarification before voting.;)

I'll try and explain this in better detail LG.

Which of the following, neo-prog or Iron Maiden and Metallica has had more of a significant contribution(musical style and structure, influence, sound) to the development and where progressive rock is today, generally?

Maybe this might help: Which bands has had more of an impact overall on progressive rock? Iron Maiden or Marillion? Metallica or IQ?

I emphasize generally and progressive rock.

I hope this helps.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll throw in with Marillion and IQ for having a bigger influence on prog rock, so neo-prog gets my vote.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Iron Maiden has always been a mix of progressive rock like structures/ time changes and bands like UFO ( w/o the keys ) etc They have had a HUGE impact on the progressive metal genre ( Pagan's Mind ect. ), which is as Joe says a sub-genre of progressive rock ...
Metallica's And Justice For All, definitely has prog influences and I hear a good deal of Hetfield etc. in various prog metal bands these days as well though probably not as much as Maiden influences.

I'm going w/ the above ..anything prog that Neo has influences is definitely not to my liking as the Neo- seems to indicate a removal of the complexity of the time changes etc. and a move toward straight forward pop rock .A mellow unadventurous one at that .

To me Neo-prog is like an oxymoron, it is not what I consider progressive music.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I"m not a fan of the tag either DKW, but I think pure prog bands like Marillion and IQ have been huge influences as well, over the long haul.

I consider Maiden one of the top 10 metal bands of all time, but when I think of progressive rock like Camel, early Genesis etc., Maiden is not who comes to mind.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I"m not a fan of the tag either DKW, but I think pure prog bands like Marillion and IQ have been huge influences as well, over the long haul.

I consider Maiden one of the top 10 metal bands of all time, but when I think of progressive rock like Camel, early Genesis etc., Maiden is not who comes to mind.

Maiden is basically progressive rock being played at a faster speed with a metallic edge. They are not progressive rock per say but they have had a huge influence on Progressive Metal which is a part of the prog family tree.

That and the fact that I am not a fan of the neo-sub genre, and it's (IMO) non-progressive influences , leaves me no other choice but to vote for Iron Maiden and Metallica.

@ Joe, if no one else gets what you are saying here , I do.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online

No members online now.