• Neil Young

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • Bob Dylan

Votes: 37 48.1%

• Total voters

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
This is The Master v The Apprentice...as applies with many artists, there wouldn't even be a Neil Young if there wasn't Bob Dylan...Young would probably even have to admit that himself.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sometimes the Apprentice surpasses the Master, and in this case I think Neil has done exactly that.

The equivalent of "taking the pebble from my hand Grasshopper"...loved that old Kung Fu series.;)

TheSound

Reaction score
Well it frankly wouldn't matter to me who was put up in a head-to-head verses Dylan, I'm from the school that believes he was way more influential and important to the evolution of popular music in the 20th century than even Elvis and The Beatles, and I could probably prove it if I had like the 10 hours to spare that I would need to list the names of all the bands/artists who were either heavily influenced by him, or covered his songs, including Neil Young. Maybe not so much these days, but Dylan's musical DNA has informed nearly every simple twist of pop/rock music since about 1962.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You make some valid points but I disagree. I respect Dylan now more than I ever have before but I can think of a Host of other artists I would rather listen to than him without any effort.

Also I found it illuminating that quite a few of his songs were "borrowed" from other folk artists back in the days of his ascendency.

He is in the top 5 most important artists to modern music, no denying that but I will never be a rabid fan.

TheSound

Reaction score
^^You make some valid points but I disagree. I respect Dylan now more than I ever have before but I can think of a Host of other artists I would rather listen to than him without any effort.

Also I found it illuminating that quite a few of his songs were "borrowed" from other folk artists back in the days of his ascendency.

He is in the top 5 most important artists to modern music, no denying that but I will never be a rabid fan.

I saw Dylan live last year LG, and it was awful...too loud, his voice has gone, and some of his recent arrangements of old classics rendered them almost unrecognisable, but I forgave him within about 20 minutes of me getting up the next morning and playing (I think) the Nashville Skyline and Love and Theft albums. To me he's just a giant, though I accept he divides opinions, I feel that other musicians recognise his historic importance more that music fans do, you take a poll of musicians about the greatest influence on music, and then you take a poll of fans about the greatest influence, he'd be far higher up the first one than the second one.

Titokinz

Earthbound misfit
Reaction score
I have to stick with my instinct and say Neil, no technical reason about it. I just like his music better, his voice soothes and reaches a deeper place in me than Bob. Although I do respect both artists tremendously.

ecisgod

Reaction score
Huge fan of both of these guys. But I gotta go with Dylan...

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Wow. Dylan one vote ahead of Young, 30-29

A true slugfest between two heavyweights

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye