• Neil Young

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • Bob Dylan

Votes: 37 48.1%

• Total voters

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
They get compared a lot, but the fundamental difference between them is obvious. Neil sings from the heart, tells you about his life. Bob sings from the position of an omniscient observer, diagramming the situation with masterful clarity as though reality was a book he was in the process of writing. 'Course that alone isn't a big enough reason to like one or the other more.

Both are favorites of mine, but Neil's in a league of his own. When Bob's on, he's freaking on, he's unbelievable. But a lot of his stuff leaves me cold.

Sums it up pretty well.:grinthumb

Voted Neil because I have over 20 of his albums. And I only have a 2-disc Essential Bob Dylan in the collection. All I need of Dylan to be truthful.

Stoned

Sword of Damocles
Reaction score
Bob Dylan... he was a horrible singer but he was a very good songwriter. Not that Neil wasn't I just prefer Dylan. :D

vizou

Reaction score
it's difficult to choice..but finaly, I vote for Neil Young...(....remember "Harvest")

Riot

Reaction score
Bob Dylan!!!!

I like Neil too .. but I have to go with Bob. I will never tire of the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan album :)

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score
I'm going to have to roll with Bobby.

Neil Young is great, don't get me wrong. I'm just more into Dylan's songwriting...

Tommy Walker

Reaction score
Better musician: Neil Young by a wide margin
Better lyricist: Bob Dylan*
Bigger impact: Bob Dylan by a wide margin

*Although, they're very different. Dylan uses a lot of flowery language. The crowning achievement of some of his songs is simply the way he weaves words together (Mr. Tambourine Man, for example, doesn't really say a whole lot, but it's brilliantly written nonetheless). Neil, on the other hand, generally says a lot with relatively few words. He's a very efficient songwriter if you will.

These guys are about dead even in terms of how much of their respective catalogues I like and how often I listen to each of them. Bob Dylan is just more important though. Neil Young is a great artist, but Dylan's impact transcends music, so he gets my vote.

pistolpete

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE Neil Young. I love everything from his folk to his grunge. His voice always sounds so heart felt.

He's not in Bob Dylan's league though, at least in my eyes. Dylan can make you laugh, cry, happy, angry, etc.

They are both in my top 5 favorite artists, but when it comes down to it, I think Dylan's albums are more complete and his best songs are better than Young's best songs.

I'm surprised Young is winning this poll.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online