Neil Young: The Ditch Trilogy

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Neil Young is an amazing artist and in my opinion, the ditch trilogy makes up the greatest 3 album run in the history of music. Neil is able to make this gritty rock sound and add to it his amazingly personal lyrics. anybody here a fan of the Ditch Trilogy or even Neil Young? anybody have thoughts about these albums?

time-fades-away-cover.jpg

xYO01E.jpg

tonights_the_night.jpg

Zombeels

Reaction score
Re: The Ditch Trilogy

Although I like these 3 albums I think there are many other better 3 album runs in the history of music including another by Neil Young.

220px-EverybodyKnowsThisIsNowhere.jpg
after_the_gold_rush.jpg
neil-young-harvest.jpg

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

i disagree, the first two albums are a little spotty and nowhere near perfect and the production on harvest doesn't fit the songwriting and style of neil young, it just wasn't a good fit in my opinion and i've met many who agree on this point

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I know the three albums Zombeels posted but I am not familiar with the first one you posted Tattoo'd...:think:

I like Neil Young but I only have 5 of his Albums.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

the first one i posted is Time Fades Away. its a live album of basically new material that was recorded during neil's tour to support Harvest. also, neil was battling his depression from the death of his guitar player Danny Whitten from heroin overdose. basically neil would get pretty smashed every night to deal with his depression and would play some brash and loud music which was the opposite of the acoustic and country Harvest type material that concert goers expected.

it went out of print on vinyl and neil never released it on CD because he considers it to be too personal and too poor of quality. its pretty easy to get a boot of it though and its an amazing album, top notch from old Shakey

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thanks Tattoo'd I wondered about that. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "The Needle and the Damage Done" written for his friend Danny Whitten?

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

yeppp, it sure is. its about heroin and drug use in general but its mostly directed toward and about Danny Whitten

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It is mind blowing to think about how many talented artists died so needlessly over the years.:(

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

yeah seriously, like Neil once said "The real good musicians that weren't famous and you never got to see was because of heroin"

the three albums i posted all show neil struggling with the death of Danny Whitten, its shocking how personal he got with his music, especially with some of his live shows during that period

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I remember when "American Stars 'n Bars" was released in the late 70's Rolling Stone considered Neil, Springsteen and Aerosmith the future of rock and roll at that time. I think they got that one right.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online