Nazareth trying to replace Dan McCafferty

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
There are some signature vocalists who can't be replaced by anyone...and whether you like McCafferty's voice or not he's one of them.

Better to just bow out gracefully and retire Nazareth once and for all.

on first glance, I would completely agree. Then I think about some signature vocalists that I doubt any of us could have guessed were replacable, yet had more than "just adequite" replacements. It's a matter of preference as to any change in songwriting styles or the vocalists sound, but these guys brought enough to the table to keep the band rolling. These are just a couple off of the top of my head:

Bon Scott ---> Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
David Lee Roth ---> Sammy Hagar (Van Halen)
Rob Halford ---> Tim Owens (Judas Priest)
Matt Barlow ---> Tim Owens (Iced Earth)
Ozzy Osbourne ---> Ronnie James Dio (Black Sabbath)
Ronnie James Dio ---> Graham Bonnet, Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow)
Paul Di'anno ---> Bruce Dickenson (Iron Maiden)
Greg Rollie ---> Steve Perry (Journey) [not counting the Fleishman era]

I'm sure there are many others, but these are just quick examples.

Then again, none of those bands were well beyond their glory years when they replaced their lead singer, so, perhaps this situation is different and maybe Nazereth should just hang it up.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Difference in this instance is McCafferty has been the voice of Nazareth for over 40 years now,,,the only other original member left is the bass player. To feel comfortable with a replacement singer usually takes a while and for a dinosaur like Nazareth at this point retiring after releasing a couple of good new albums recently is a fitting way for them to fade away.

On your list of singers the only one I think was a massive upgrade is Bruce Dickinson in Maiden and maybe Steve Perry in Journey although I really like Greg Rollie.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online