Nazareth trying to replace Dan McCafferty

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockmagazine.com

billyRankin.jpg

Former Nazareth guitarist and TeamRock Radio host Billy Rankin was this week offered the job of replacing Dan McCafferty in the band – but refused despite a trial rehearsal that he says went “****ing great.”

McCafferty exclusively told Classic Rock last week that he’d retired from the veteran Scottish rock outfit after his lung disease left him unable to deliver a full-length live set.

His decision came after Naz were forced to cancel a Canadian tour after he collapsed on stage in July, then collapsed again during a run of bill-topping festival appearances in Europe in August.

Bassist Pete Agnew – now the sole original member – called with the offer after fan speculation ran wild online. Rankin tells Classic Rock: “My name was mentioned a lot and I laughed like a train. Right up until the phone rang.

“Pete said, ‘We’d like you to replace Dan.’ I said, ‘No one can replace Dan. Why me?’ He told me, ‘Well, you can sing, and we’ve got history.’ I had to give him that one.

“We arranged a rehearsal and blasted through some old hits – and we all had to agree it sounded ****ing great. But there was one thing missing: Dan.”

Rankin has been a member of the band twice. His first stint was in 1980, when he joined up after he’d been discovered in a Glasgow bar and made a member of Zal, the short-lived act formed by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band following the departure of frontman Harvey. He departed for a solo career in 1983 then returned for four years in 1990, appearing on a total of five Naz albums alongside three solo releases.

He later fronted SAHB in their 2003 incarnation, so he has experience of replacing a popular frontman – but that just added to his doubts. “Nazareth without Dan McCafferty?” he muses. “I can’t win with the fans, or the bottles I’d have to dodge. We agreed I’d think about it, and I have.

“Yesterday I called Uncle Pete and said: ‘Thanks, but no thanks.’ As for Dan – get well, pal, and thanks for the 40 years of music.”

Rankin will pay tribute to McCafferty’s career on his Blues Magazine Show on TeamRock Radio tomorrow from 6pm.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There are some signature vocalists who can't be replaced by anyone...and whether you like McCafferty's voice or not he's one of them.

Better to just bow out gracefully and retire Nazareth once and for all.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
^^^I agree. There is no Nazareth without Dan on vocals.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I agree, I am supposed to be seeing them this year at Hard Rock Hell but I think they will either have to withdraw or get a replacement which is near impossible as he is a great front man with a great voice:)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Same, I am not sure now whether I want to see the band with someone other than Dan on vocals or not.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I agree...these are the kind of irreplaceable moments ...and they would only have the bass player left??

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I lost interest in Nazareth when Manny Charlton departed for various solo projects, which were patchy to say the least. The band were in decline before he left in any case. Dan McCafferty's solo albums were pretty good, so there's hope for him yet. In truth, I haven't heard the Rankin (or Murrison) version of Nazareth, but if he was with SAHB he must have something about him.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I lost interest in Nazareth when Manny Charlton departed for various solo projects, which were patchy to say the least. The band were in decline before he left in any case. Dan McCafferty's solo albums were pretty good, so there's hope for him yet. In truth, I haven't heard the Rankin (or Murrison) version of Nazareth, but if he was with SAHB he must have something about him.

You might be interested in The Newz and Big Dogz albums. Those two recent ones (2008 and 2011) proved to be a kicking hard rocking works.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online