1. Go Down Fighting
2. No Faking It
3. Turn On Your Receiver
4. Teenage Nervous Breakdown
5. Free Wheeler
6. This Flight Tonight
7. Child In The Sun
8. The Ballad Of Hollis Brown

As of late I've been pulling out some LPs I haven't heard for years, if not decades for various reasons. One reason would be for curiosity to hear if they were as bad or good now as they were way back then. Second, for nostalgia to reflect on the good ole days and thirdly, to jar my memory as some albums I've completely forgot what they sounded like...gettin' older. If I remember correctly, which is doubtful, some, if not most of the Nazareth's albums I have('Razmanaz' through to 'No Mean City') I acquired through the Columbia Record Club back in my mid-teens. My girlfriend at that time commanded me to use one of my 16 choices, or was it 17, maybe it was 15 to order Nazareth's 'Loud 'n' Proud'. So I agreed...no, that's not true as I caved in knowing damn well if I didn't I would end up in the doghouse...again. Besides, I think the order was 1 cent plus S&H for the order so I could live with it.

As I was flippin' through my LPs out in the garage I pulled out Nazareth's 'Hair Of The Dog'. "Nay", I said to myself as I can't stomach that gawd awful repetitive title track and then slid out 'Loud 'n' Proud'. The great cover caught my eye so I decided to take in the house with an armful of others and give'r a whirl.

After the first two tracks my ********* started to pucker, followed by, "Turn On Your Receiver" and I was thinkin' it was time to shut down my receiver. Then they pulverize Little Feat's, "Teenage Nervous Breakdown" from their classic album, 'Sailin' Shoes'. Lowell George must of been aghast if he heard this. I hope he didn't. Now I'm really starting to get aggravated and then the needle(both noun and verb) slides...I can't use slide when reffering to this album, so I'll use bumps into the next track, "This Flight Tonight" (man oh man oh man...my girlfried would play this song repeatedly...jeezus!) and is another desecration of a classic track, this time from the beautiful Joni Mitchell and her album, 'Blue'. "Go Down Fighting" is Dan McCafferty trying to be a tough guy. What a joke. "The Ballad Of Hollis Brown" is yet again another cover, this time coming from Bob Dylan's, 'The Times Are A-Changin'' and is nine minutes of electrocution of horrific distortion and feedback and left me wincing and wretched.

This was one hell of a shellacking and I was vibing after this terrible listening experience and I popped a valium and washed it down a scotch and a soda to kill the pain. 'Loud 'n' Proud' I think is the most monochromatic albums I've ever heard along with the simplistic music style and structure and the friggin' lyrical redundancy and platitude makes this album insufferable. The screeching of Dan McCafferty's vocals is as vexing as nails running down a chalkboard with the combo of the sound properties from the instruments is a brutal pitch of a jackhammer and an air raid siren(I know, cliches but not nearly as much in this review as there is on this album). What's so ironic is that these "rough and tough" Scots would latter surrender to AORism in the '80's and I just can't...no wait.. I don't want to imagine what it would sound like. Could it be as crappy as other AORists from the '80's? No doubt.

A 1/2 star for the cover and a 1/2 star for the content.

Rating: 2/10 Just Awful

Sorry no vids as I didn't want to waste my time and yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Nazareth - Loud 'n' Proud(1973)

Wow Joe.!! :omg:....that review is going to ruffle a few peacock feathers here on the forum, lots of NAZARETH fans. I remember on earlier threads you said that you never took to the band.
Im going to put this album on my playlist and come back to you with an opinion . As you say you can put an album away a few years and hear it in a different light.Sometimes good.......sometimes bad :cheers2

Last edited:

billyporter

Reaction score

i was just listening to this a couple of days ago. i like 3 of the tunes on it. i recall when this flight tonight came out, it was/is really good.
love the cover.

nazareth do what nazareth do. i must admit i get bored with traditional old style rock a lot of the time, just gets a little boring at times.
also there were never any really good guitar solos with the band, bit of slide here and there, anyone can play slide.

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score

I actually enjoy this album. But have always been a fan of Nazareth. I know I had a lot of friends who hated there music. But to each there own. Not there best release. But I spin it ever now and then. But nice honest review of the album

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

Not surprised you're strongly against Nazareth, but I'm surprised you dislike this album that much. IMO my favourite by Nazareth, there is no single bad track on it (to be more purist and detailed about Hollis Brown - it is an overdrive on bass). Love the album cover, one of my favourites and I'm planning to get this peafowl tattooed on my left arm. I am very disappointed by what I read, but as MHM said - each to their own.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

never understood the need/desire to spend the time writing up a review on something you don't like. :confused:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Awesome album...8.5/10 70's NAZARETH owns :bow:

but does anyone really care what someone else thinks about an album anyway ???

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

I love this album, definitely in my top 3 Nazareth records. This era of theirs (Razamanaz, L-n-P, Rampant, Hair Of The Dog) is my favorite era.

joe

Reaction score

I appreciate the respectful comments and feedback. As for the others...I'm not going to waste my time.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

People are free to write a critical review of any album they like or dislike but most of the time someone who loves an album is going to take time to share their enthusiasm, rather than being very disappointed or even loathing a particular recording and take time to pick it apart.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online