Register to remove these ads

Musicals

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Cosmic Harmony, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Astrid Kirchherr65

Astrid Kirchherr65 Classic 60's Chick

Velvet Goldmine is another good modern Musical

loosely based on Bowie, Bolan and Iggy Pop of the Glitter/Glam era

great music and covers of songs /and original

omg three HOTTIES TOO

Jonathan Rys Meyers
    Ewan McGregor

Christian Bale ...:bow::bow::bow:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. Cosmic Harmony

Cosmic Harmony Senior Member

Avenue Q is one of my favorite musicals. I saw it live a couple years ago and I must say that I thought it was better than the Godfather of musicals as we know them "The Phantom of the Opera". :D

3. Sunny

Sunny Settled down at last and very happy.

I am going to see Jersey Boys when it's in Sydney (life of Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons. I have a feeling I will enjoy it.

Start the vid below at 2.40 as there is a dickhead yapping away and doesn't know when to shut up!

4. Astrid Kirchherr65

Astrid Kirchherr65 Classic 60's Chick

lol Sunny your funny

looks good girl :)

5. Pixel

Pixel The Woolly One

The British TV comedy 'Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps' did a musical edition which is more of a parody really. It's really stupid and crass, but that's why I like it :D However, despite this, it has a rather sad back story, about a girl who leaves her boyfriend and is thinking back to the night they met...

6. Terra812

Terra812 Senior Member

Jesus Christ Superstar - My mom use to play it alot when i was a kid in the 70's, in college during the 80's a group of buddies (myself included) use to... let's just say... go crazy :nana: when any track was played at parties and on a (second) date in the 90's, I took who could have been the future Mrs. Terra out to dinner and then to see a stage performance of JCS with Ted Neeley, Carl Anderson, Dennis De Young as Pontius Pilate and Irene Cara as Mary Magdalene... In hind-sight I guess singing along with the show might not have been a good idea :bonk:

A friend turned me on to Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera (film). You will see Gerard Butler in a whole new light... We saw it in Vegas at The Venetian and I highly recommend seeing it if you're there... the chandelier swoops down over head and everything... very cool!

Another favorite is Paint Your Wagon... Lee Marvin... Clint Eastwood :grinthumb

7. Cosmic Harmony

I've watched "Dr. Horrible..." since you posted this, Sal, and I think it was amazing. Neil Patrick Harris was absolutely fantastic and it made me laugh tons before that tragic ending that totally blindsided me. :heheh:

And how about a musical that hasn't gotten mentioned yet (which is a crying shame)...

[​IMG]

On a forum that loves the Beatles so much you would have thought that Across the Universe would have been one of the first to be brought up in this thread. Admittedly, I like some of the songs from this film more than the originals. :peek

Come Together (feat. Joe Cocker)

Helter Skelter

(incidentally these two are my favorite versions of these songs period.)

Oh! Darling

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

8. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

^I agree with you Cosmic, there are some songs in that movie that were a bit or much better than the originals. Specifically Hey Jude

Don't get me wrong, I love the original, The Beatles did a fantastic job, but idk, I just like this version a lot more.

9. Cosmic Harmony

Their cover of "Hey Jude" makes excellent use of that borderline a cappela intro that several of the songs in the movie have ("Girl", "All You Need Is Love", "Let It Be", etc). It's not one of the songs that I like more than the original but I like it do love it still, probably mainly because the guy that plays Max is my favorite singer/character in the movie.

One thing about "Hey Jude" though is that 3 and a half minutes of Nahs in the original is something I always teeter back and forth on. On one hand it's like the sounds of a celebration and is such a simple anthem that anyone can chime in with but on the otherhand to have half of a seven minute song be made up entirely of Nahs seem very pompous to me....So for the Across the Universe cover I like that they trim the fat (for lack of a more appropriate term coming to mind at the moment) but I can't honestly say I prefer it to the original.

10. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

^That's one thing I tend to go back and forth on as well. I like the "nahs" in the original version, but it was refreshing to hear the song with that cut down a bit. That's probably what made me like it a bit more. I've listened to the Beatles version all the way through, with all the "nahs" and everything like...5 times I think. But i've listened to it a lot more than that but just skipped to the next song when it got to that part.